ws-brsp message

Subject: FW: [ws-brsp] MINUTES OASIS WS-BRSP TC Meeting 18 October 2012

Thanks Gershon:
A minor addition to your notes:
About the "process for handling issues" (under 2. Logistics...)
Ram had suggested that recommendations/proposals for issue resolution, be advertised ahead of time for TC to comment/decide on these. So I modified point #5 of the process as:
5. The recommendation is socialized by the assignee on our mailing list at least a few days before the next TC meeting so that the TC can take an informed vote about endorsing it formally, or so that the chair can initiate an electronic TC ballot for it.
Already modified in the copy of minutes below:
Thanks,
-jacques

-----Original Message-----
From: ws-brsp@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:ws-brsp@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Gershon Janssen
Sent: Thursday, October 18, 2012 1:49 PM
To: ws-brsp@lists.oasis-open.org

DRAFT MINUTES
OASIS WS-BRSP TC Meeting
18 October 2012, 12:00pm

* Member status changes after 18 October 2012 meeting:

Lost voting rights:
Joel Fleck

Gained voting rights:
None.

Now: 7 voting members in TC.

* New Action Items:

Action Item: Tom Rutt and Ram: Investigate what are the source formats that are accepted by e.g. ISO, so it can feed into our discussion and decision on what document format to use.

* Open Action Items from previous meeting(s):

Action Item: Jamie Clark: Confirm what has been discussed by message to the list Action Item: Micah Hainline: look at how much we can do to fix the bug and as part of that investigate the SVN repo access

Scribe: Gershon Janssen

0. Call to Order and roll call

Jacques Durand calls the meeting to order and welcomes everyone.

* Roll call:
Jacques Durand
Gershon Janssen
Alessio Soldano
Ram Jeyaraman
Tom Rutt
Tom Link (Observer)

5 voting members present; this meeting quorates.

Agenda adopted.

1. Administrative

* Minutes previous meeting
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ws-brsp/201210/msg00001.html
Minutes approved by unanimous consent.

* WS-I MS affiliation update
WS-I MS StC schedule for end of October. MS affiliation scheduled for that meeting.

* Next meeting(s) schedule
Change time regular time to 11 PDT instead of noon PDT. Depends on whether Jacques can resolve an agenda conflict for that time.

2. Logistics / Process about Maintenance of profiles, tools

* Restate / refine the general process to handle users requests/comments, involving comment list & JIRA, where in the process the whole TC is formally sanctioning.

Process for handling:
1. Users must report comments / issues on the BRSP comment list.
2. The "comments monitor" (TC member, currently Gershon) files a JIRA issue for every comment that looks like it needs TC action.
3. Assignment of the issue for further investigation: either TC members pick-up the issue on their own, or chair finds an assignee.
4. The assignee makes a recommendation to TC, that could informally be communicated to the user as just in-progress (not formally TC-approved)
5. The recommendation is socialized on our mailing list at least a few days before the next TC meeting so that the TC can take a vote about endorsing it formally, or so that the chair can initiate an electronic TC ballot for it.
- either a resolution, or just a direction to take to make progress on it.

TC agrees on using the process.

* Application to 1st request ("Gerwin's bug").
First issue has been created
http://tools.oasis-open.org/issues/browse/WSBRSP-1.

* Inventory follow-up. Availability of tools. Who can download what, who can update what.
Action Item from previous meeting: Micah Hainline: look at how much we can do to fix the bug and as part of that investigate the SVN repo access No updates yet.

- Updating update code / check-in into SVN and building the tools should be setup.
- Downloading of code and binaries should be available to non-OASIS members as well.
- We need for a structure for units of materials; intial suggestion for
units:

V1 tools:
-Analyzer C# (BP1.1)
-Analyzer Java (BP1.1)
-Monitor
V2 tools:
-  Analyzer (both BP12-20)
- Analyzer (RSP)
- Logger

Jacques will follow-up with Micah and Doug.

* The process toward fixing/updating code.
- Use case:  follow-up on current bug report (Gerwins BP10 bug).
- Issue has been opened to fix this issue:
http://tools.oasis-open.org/issues/browse/WSBRSP-2.

- If we acknowledge something is a bug, how do we proceed with fixing it?
- Fixing the code ourselves is not so likely as we are a bit short on expertise for that.
- Seek help from end-user / reporter to fix the bug.

3. Distribution and management of source code (long term)

* Follow-up on OASIS role, review proposal from previous meeting.
Action Item from previous meeting: Jamie Clark: Confirm what has been discussed by message to the list Confirmation to be received on list.

For now OASIS will remain the distributor of the code.

4. Specification maintenance and progression work
* Moving current Profiles toward OASIS CS or further. Formatting & source document decision to make.

- See note from Jacques on the options:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ws-brsp/201210/msg00006.html
- Suggestion from Tom to use HTML as the source; UML spec in OMG is doing the same.
- Ram explains JTC/1 uses templates in Word2003 when moving to an official standard
- Gershon likes current format and generating is tempting, though, editing requires knowledge of the XML and stylesheets. Main question is, does this TC have this knowledge and will it be portable over time?
- We might not have a real choice and be required to move to Word, as almost everybody can edit Word documents; not everybody can edit XML and stylesheets and do subsequent processing and generation.
- If one would like to diff e.g. Test Assertions; how to do this?
- Add Test Assertions as an appendix and separate set of files, as we still need separate XML files for test assertions.
- Suggestion is on the table to choose option (2): "mainstream": convert source to word processor XYZ (e.g. MSWord, OpenOffice) while keeping test assertions as separate files.
- If going beyond an OASIS standard, we might be required to use generic Word processing formats too.

Action Item: Tom Rutt and Ram: Investigate what are the source formats that are accepted by e.g. ISO, so it can feed into our discussion and decision on what document format to use.

- Jacques volunteers to convert one doc to Word, but cannot do all.
- To finalize the document format decision at the 15/nov meeting.

5.  Adjourn

Next meetings:
- 15/Nov @ 12 PDT

---------------------------
RAW CHAT TRANSCRIPT
---------------------------
Gershon Janssen: Thursday, 18 October 2012, 12:00pm to 01:00pm PDT Gershon Janssen: Agenda
Dug: at openstack summit. Wont be able to join Gershon Janssen: 1.Administrative
- Minutes previous meeting
(https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ws-brsp/201210/msg00001.html)
- WS-I MS affiliation update.
- Next meeting(s) schedule.
2.Logistics / Process about Maintenance of profiles, tools
- Restate / refine the general process to handle users requests/comments, involving comment list & JIRA, where in the process the whole TC is formally sanctioning. Application to 1st request ("Gerwin's bug").
- Inventory follow-up. Availability of tools. Who can download what, who can update what.
- The process toward fixing/updating code. Use case:  follow-up on current bug report (Gerwins BP10 bug).
3.Distribution and management of source code (long term)
- Follow-up on OASIS role, review proposal from previous meeting.
4.Specification maintenance and progression work
- Moving current Profiles toward OASIS CS or further. Formatting & source document decision to make.
- Need for editor (note: once the source format decision has been made, likely light work.) Gershon Janssen: Roll call:
<Present, Name>
x Jacques Durand
x Gershon Janssen
x Alessio Soldano
x Ram Jeyaraman
x Tom Rutt
x Tom Link
Gershon Janssen: approval of minutes:
Gershon Janssen: - Minutes previous meeting
(https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ws-brsp/201210/msg00001.html)
Gershon Janssen: minutes are approved by unanimous consent.
Gershon Janssen: - WS-I MS affiliation update.
Gershon Janssen: MS StC has not met yet; next week StC meeting at which affiliation is scheduled.
Gershon Janssen: - Next meeting(s) schedule.
Gershon Janssen: Backup meeting time is 11 PDT Gershon Janssen: next meeting 15/nov @ 12 PDT Gershon Janssen: maybe one hour earlier, but depends on jacques schedule Gershon Janssen: 2.Logistics / Process about Maintenance of profiles, tools Gershon Janssen: - Restate / refine the general process to handle users requests/comments, involving comment list & JIRA, where in the process the whole TC is formally sanctioning. Application to 1st request ("Gerwin's bug").
Gershon Janssen: process as agreed to on last call:
Gershon Janssen: Process for handling feedbacks:
1. Users must report comments / issues on the BRSP comment list.
2. The "comments monitor" (TC member, currently Gershon) files a JIRA issue for every comment that looks like it needs TC action.
3. Assignment of the issue for further investigation: either TC members pick-up the issue on their own, or chair finds an assignee.
4. The assignee makes a recommendation to TC, that could informally be communicated to the user as just in-progress (not formally TC-approved) 5. The TC makes a formal decision about this recommendation at next meeting
- either a resolution, or just a direction to take to make progress on it.
Gershon Janssen: Posted the first issue:
http://tools.oasis-open.org/issues/browse/WSBRSP-1
Gershon Janssen: - Inventory follow-up. Availability of tools. Who can download what, who can update what.
AlessioSoldano(RedHat): it was empty last time I checked Gershon Janssen: previous meeting -- Action Item: Micah Hainline: look at how much we can do to fix the bug and as part of that investigate the SVN repo access Gershon Janssen: no update yet.
Gershon Janssen: downloading to be available for non-OASIS members as well.
Gershon Janssen: Updating update code / check-in into SVN and building the tools should be setup.
Gershon Janssen: Need for a structure of units of materials.
Gershon Janssen: Suggestion for this structure:
Gershon Janssen: V1 tools:
-Analyzer C# (BP1.1)
-Analyzer Java (BP1.1)
-Monitor
V2 tools:
-  Analyzer (both BP12-20)
- Analyzer (RSP)
- Logger
Gershon Janssen: Jacques will follow-up with Micah and Doug.
Gershon Janssen: - The process toward fixing/updating code. Use case:
follow-up on current bug report (Gerwins BP10 bug).
Gershon Janssen: If we acknowledge something is a bug, how do we proceed with fixing it?
Gershon Janssen: Issue has been opened to fix this issue:
http://tools.oasis-open.org/issues/browse/WSBRSP-2
Gershon Janssen: Seek help from end-user to fix the bug.
Gershon Janssen: Fixing the code ourselves is not so likely as we are a bit short on expertise for that.
Gershon Janssen: 3.Distribution and management of source code (long term)
- Follow-up on OASIS role, review proposal from previous meeting.
Gershon Janssen: previous meeting -- Action Item: Jamie Clark: Confirm what has been discussed by message to the list Gershon Janssen: confirmation to be received on list.
Gershon Janssen: For now OASIS will remain the distributor of the code.
Gershon Janssen: 4.Specification maintenance and progression work Gershon Janssen: - Moving current Profiles toward OASIS CS or further.
Formatting & source document decision to make.
Gershon Janssen: Email from Jacques on the decision to make:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ws-brsp/201210/msg00006.html
Gershon Janssen: Suggestion to use HTML as the source; UML spec in OMG is doing the same.
Gershon Janssen: JTC/1 uses templates in Word2003 when moving to an official standard Gershon Janssen: Gershon likes current format and generating is tempting, though, editing required knowledge of the XML and Stylesheets. Main question is, does this TC have this knowledge and will it be portable over time?
AlessioSoldano(RedHat): are we going to need functionalities  like getting differences between version x and y of the profiles, etc? Might be complex with a Word doc Gershon Janssen: Jacques volunteers to convert one doc to Word, but cannot do all.
Gershon Janssen: Don't really have a choice, might be required to move to Word, as almost everybody can edit Word documents; not everybody can edit XML and Stylesheets and do subsequent processing and generation.
Gershon Janssen: If one would like to diff e.g. Test Assertions; how to do this?
Dug: vi rules
Gershon Janssen: Add Test Assertions as an appendix and separate set of files, as we still need separate XML files for test assertions.
Gershon Janssen: Suggestion for option (2): "mainstream": convert source to word processor XYZ (e.g. MSWord, OpenOffice) Gershon Janssen: keeping test assertions as separate files.
Gershon Janssen: If going beyond an OASIS standard, we might be required to use generic Word processing formats too.
Gershon Janssen: AI: investigate what are the source formats that are accepted by ISO, etc. so it can feed into our discussion and decision on what document format to use.
Gershon Janssen: assigned to Tom Rutt and Ram.
Gershon Janssen: Please post feedback to the list Gershon Janssen: Finalize the document format at the 15/nov meeting.