ws-brsp message

Subject: Minutes Sept 26

For review, please also check action items.

Thanks,

-jacques

DRAFT MINUTES

OASIS WS-BRSP TC Meeting

26 September 2013, 12:00pm to 01:00pm PDT

Scribe: Jacques Durand

0. Call to Order and roll call

Jacques Durand calls the meeting to order and welcomes everyone.

* Roll call:

Ram Jeyaraman

Jacques Durand

Doug Davis

Alessio Soldano

Observer:

Tom Link

Excused:

Gershon Janssen

Micah Hainline

Tom Rutt

This meeting is quorate.

Agenda adopted.

1. Administrative: min Aug 22nd, others. Should we try find a better meeting time for all?

2. CSDs: approved for PR. Next steps, and beyond. (Statements of use for OS, etc.)

3. Test Tools follow-up (donation/upload  to open-source projects)

Action Items:

AI-1: Jacques to do a more precise inventory of test tools

AI-2: Ram: will do inventory of Microsoft test tools, and also check current MSFT licensing terms.

AI-3: Jacques: to check WS-I licensing with Jamie, does it have any impact,

AI-4: Everyone who developed test tools in the past, to check if their company is OK with an OSS style licensing.

Minutes:

1. Administrative: min Aug 22nd, others. Should we try find a better meeting time for all?

- Minutes Aug 22nd amended by Jacques, (little more details on "test tools"). Motion to approve, 2nd Doug. Approved.

- Try to move up to 11amPT Thu instead of noonPT Thu? Doug: could accommodate that. Jacques will check with individuals.

- Next meeting tentative date: 10/24.

2. CSDs: approved for PR. Next steps, and beyond. (Statements of use for OS, etc.)

- about to start 30-day PR (early next week) for each of the 4 profile packages, according to TC admin.

- only the core specs are normative. Lots of non-normative material around, including Test Assertions.

3. Test Tools follow-up (donation/upload  to open-source projects)

- Jacques: will do a more precise inventory of test tools

- roughly, two sets: 1st generation tools for 1st gen profiles,  2nd gen tools for 2nd gen profiles.

- 1st gen tools: main contributors: IBM (man-in-the-middle message capture and XML log formatting + Java version of analyzer)

and Microsoft (C# version of analyzer). These tools were posted on WS-I site, now on OASIS.

These are the tools we got feedback and inquiries about so far.

- 2nd gen tools: IBM developed the message XML log formatting (Python) components.

Fujitsu developed the Analyzer tool components.

Besides this, Microsoft, Oracle and IBM instrumented their endpoints, but not sure if that is part of the "tools"?

- Ram: although we don't see anything critical here, we have to be careful: contributing companies might not

always own 100% of the Tools IP. Might be side contributors who may own some parts.

May need to extend the contribution to more than just the main originators of the tools.

- Jacques: every contributing company need to check they own the IP of their tools.

Normally, if they already contributed 1st gen tools to WS-I in the past, that should mean they are confident they own the IP.

- Jacques: every contributor needs to check what kind of licensing they are happy with. Goal is open-source,

not just freeware. E.g. Fujitsu donated to Google Code under LGPL a generic variant of Analyzer test tools.

- Ram: will do inventory of Microsoft test tools, and also check current MSFT licensing terms: are they broad enough

for end-users? Does copyright of test tools allow source code to be used? Do we have trace of MSFT contribution to WS-I?

- Jacques: to check WS-I licensing with Jamie.

- Jacques: OASIS has virtually no rights / no IPR on current test tools they host.

- Jacques: (a) downloading tools for testing, different from (b) accessing source code for reuse in products. But in fact,

WS-I allowed for the latter (b) for all their members. End users non-members could always do (a).

But (b) is the real OSS value proposition.

Are tools contributors ready to do (b) for broad public (while (b) was only for WS-I members in the past)?

They just host the download. Don't own  the tools.

- Doug: IBM has no problem contributing IBM-developed test tools to an OSS, e.g. GitHub.

- Jacques: assuming GitHub, we still need to figure what kind of access we give to

individuals / TC members / OASIS members,

as discussed last time. Need to figure what are the options.

4.  Adjourn

Next meeting tentative date: 10/24, possibly 11amPT.