ws-brsp message

Subject: [ws-brsp] MINUTES 9 July 2015

DRAFT MINUTES

OASIS WS-BRSP TC Meeting

9 July 2015, 11:00am to 12:00pm PDT

Scribe: Jacques

0. Call to Order and roll call

* Roll call:

Jacques Durand (Fujitsu)

Pim van der Eijck

Tom Link (IBM, observer)

Rebecca Searls (RedHat)

Tom Rutt (Fujitsu)

Excused: (mis-scheduling of meeting 1 h earlier)

Doug Davis (IBM)

Gershon Janssen (individual)

Alessio Soldano (RedHat)

Ram Jeyaraman (Microsoft)

Agenda :

1. Administrative:

approval of Apr 23 minutes, latest discussions in Steering committe.

2. Current business:

- any report on BSP1.1 usage, interest in upgrade ?

- periodic check on interest for OASIS standard for BP1.2, BP2.0, RSP1.0, BSP1.1 profile

Minutes :

1. Administrative:

- approval of Apr 23 minutes. Postponed.

- meetings: next scheduled: September 24 (tentative)

- TC in maintenance mode. TC a resource for users, also the TC plays a role in case of defect report from ISO on former profiles.

WS-I MS Steering Committee met on June 26th, Jacques Durand stated the dilemma that the WS-BRSP TC has. It cannot progress the three Profiles it has been working on (BP 1.2, BP 2.0, and RSP 1.0) from Committee Specs to OASIS Standards (or to ISO) because none of them have enough Statements of Use.

There are currently 10 organizations and 3 Individuals (plus OASIS) that make up the WS-I Member Section.

A related question is whether the members of the WS-I Member Section want to progress these Profiles --- and if so, to ISO?  Or just to OASIS Standards? Reluctance is partly because companies have difficulty to trace those who were involved 10 years ago and are able to do such statements.

Microsoft has pointed out that BSP 1.1 does not support the currently used SHAH 256. With security being a major concern in web services, do the WS-I MS members want to update BSP 1.1? This would require significant specification work and testing modifications.

But Jacques pointed out that while WS-I had testing requirements for each profile (and need to produce test tools per its charter), OASIS is not bound by the same requirement - BRSP charter is different.

If it is the decision of the WS-I MS Members not to progress the three Profiles beyond Committee Specifications, or to update BSP 1.1, then we must ask whether the WS-I Member Section still needs to exist.

2. Current status on CS profiles: BP1.2, BP2.0, RSP1.0, BSP1.1

- Any report on usage (BSP in EU?)

- Nothing to report. In this meeting we miss the members closest to users (especially for BSP1.1)

- Pim to monitor usage of BSP1.1 and to relay interest of users into an upgrade. They are upgrading to SHA 256, but so far do not need this upgrade to translate into an official standard upgrade.

- Rebecca: internal use of BSP1.1 (RedHat)is based on old SHA 1 algorithm, not upgraded.

Next meeting: September 24 tentative. Chair will propose dates and try avoid schedule conflicts.

Meeting adjourned.