Subject: RE: [ws-caf] discussion on approaches for web services/ business transaction

Greg,

A good question, but yes I did mean it, though obviously I was being
terse.

The distinction between "inaccessible/undetectable/apparently
firm/visibly tentative" depends on who the "other entity" attempting
access is. In a classic world, the other entity is say another user of
the database - or at least one that is using an equivalent isolation
level. If they are doing dirty reads, our isolation is broken, but, for
our transaction, we model that as being irrelevant - such lower-level
accessors are just deemed to be non-entities.  But in a service world,
we want to concentrate only on what the service itself is offering - the
semantic implications of, say, a tentative hotel reservation are limited
to whether or not I can be sure of a room if I confirm and sure of not
paying if I cancel in time. That reservation is  probably visibly
tentative to the booking staff, perhaps apparently firm to maintenance
(room must be in order by date ..). To another user of the service
(another would-be guest) the question is vague - if there are still
rooms available, they can get in, if not, not (or they might be
waitlisted in the hope that I or someone else cancels).

Although that example is from a loosely-coupled world, I think the same
applies in the more classic cases. A client that is concerned to know
what properties are applied inside a resource manager, beyond assurance
that it will abide by its service agreement (for this client and for
other clients), has sort of gone round the back of the service boundary.
That's going to be because the designer of the client is also the owner
of the resource manager and is using the client to ensure the resource
manager behaves as desired - in fact to configure the services. That's
certainly a rational and practical way of working things in a closed
world, but it confounds the service boundary. In choosing a protocol to
support transactions in a service-oriented world, we want to minimise
the information that must travel over that boundary.

Peter