Subject: RE: [ws-caf] Agenda for the demo application

Peter,
=20
Yes, of course much can be accomplished using current specifications.  =
As you alluded to yourself, many would say that you can accomplish =
everything in Web services using XML and HTTP.  And of course there are =
many possible alternate solutions to context management.  This is =
precisely why we are trying to standardize something, so that everyone =
isn't creating their own alternate solutions.
=20
To build a bit on the analogy, everyone can certainly send XML over HTTP =
and build whatever decoders they want to build for extracting =
information from the document and invoking a service or putting the =
information on a queue.  And no doubt many people are doing this.  =
However, the standards community has a strong believe that a =
specification for how exactly this should be done, or would best be done =
(or perhaps even just adequately done) is preferable to everyone =
creating their own solutions.  So we have the SOAP specification telling =
us what kind of XML document to send, what elements to include to assist =
in the processing of that XML document, for reporting faults in a =
standard way and so on.
=20
Of course anyone is free to debate the usefulness of standards and =
conventions for achieving common goals, and I appreciate your views on =
the topic.

Regards,
=20
Eric