Subject: Re: Fwd: RE: [ws-caf] Statement for WS-Transactions workshop

> Eric suggested that the primary authors of the WS-CAF specs would like
> to become authors of WS-C+T in the process of bringing WS-TXM BP into
> the fold. The indication was that WS-TXM Acid and LRA are duplicative of
> AT and BA, and would be dropped. WS-Context was suggested as an aspect
> to be retained, by contrast.

I don't think that's quite right and certainly wasn't the intent (and wasn't
how people from IBM/MSFT took it). Although there is overlap the protocols
aren't exactly the same and there is perceived benefit from perhaps
increasing the size of the WS-T or WS-TXM family of protocols. It was
certainly the intent that merging both sets of specifications somehow rather
then replacing would be the order of the day going into any joint effort. Of
course what the end result would be is another matter.

> In his statement he suggested that pretty much all of the original
> author companies of CAF were supportive of this approach.
>
> We in Choreology made the statement that we considered BTP to be dead,
> i.e. not a contender as leading specification for Web Services
> transactions. (We have held this view since it became clear that IBM and
> Microsoft introduced their own specs in this space, but now seems like a
> sensible time to emphasize the point. We believe BTP is like a
> transition relationship: it's necessary in the absence of more durable
> or authorative solutions; it's good while it lasts, it fills the gap
> while the other solution gets sorted, and it's not going to last. We
> would like to see WS-BA emerge as the vanguard spec, drawing on other
> and prior work, e.g. BTP and CAF.)

At least the commonly held view seems to be that something like WS-BA will
emerge to fill the specific requirement of WS-BPEL. As with WS-CAF,
IBM/MSFT/BEA still agree that there will be different protocols for
different use cases.

I know that there is interest in the LRA and BP models in the "other camp",
and like I said, the differences between Acid and AT may be approached by
having two models in roughly the same space. Anyway, this is all speculation
at this time. Only time will tell.

> We raised a whole series of issues relating to details of WS-AT, and
> more substantive methodological ones relating to WS-BA. There was not
> time to discuss or even raise all of our points and we were invited to
> submit a detailed, prescriptive account in writing for further
> consideration, which we will do. The key items are: need to align
> business promises (e.g. reservations) with protocol promises (PREPARED);
> equality of treatment for the positive and negative final signals
> (CONFIRM/CANCEL in BTP-speak, CLOSE/COMPENSATE in WS-BA speak); need to
> allow selective confirmation of prepared participants (do not introduce
> a rule that ensures a uniform outcome across the whole pool). We also
> believe that an interoperable control protocol (terminator-coordinator)
> protocol is very important (although not strictly critical) for a
> selective confirmation protocol.
>
> We are also interested in the checkpointing and notification aspects in
> WS-TXM BP.

Mark.

----
Mark Little,