Subject: Re: [ws-caf] How many ALSs in an activity?

BTW, it  is outside scope for  a context service to know when all required ALSs have been registered for a protocol.

Mark.

----
Mark Little,
Chief Architect, Transactions,
Arjuna Technologies Ltd.

www.arjuna.com
----- Original Message -----
To: ws-caf
Sent: Monday, March 22, 2004 10:21 AM
Subject: [ws-caf] How many ALSs in an activity?

When going over what the Context model assumed to ALS-to-activity bindings, the following questions arose:

Do multiple ALSs register for a single protocol? How does the context service know how many ALSs must be registered for a particular protocol?

I hope we've been clear in the UML/text that the intention was always that multiple ALSs could register with a context service (aka activity service). However, what wasn't clear was the role of the 'type' field in the context. This was intended to map to an implied set of ALSs and recipients of the type could infer from it what was in the context. Defining *what* the type is is within the specification IMO, but saying *how* it maps to specific combinations of ALSs should be outside the scope of the spec. What I mean is that we shouldn't say that urn:foo:bar:1234 is a transactional protocol-type with only a single transaction ALS registered with an activity, whereas urn:foo:bar:5678 is a secure+transactional protocol-type. Other specifications should do that. (It's the same as defining the formatID in the OTS context).

So, as far as the myself, Greg and Eric are concerned, this is more an issue of text clarification. Comments?

Mark.

----