Subject: RE: [ws-caf] Fault message formats

Mark,

Which other specifications did you examine to model the fault behavior
for WS-Context?

As I mentioned to Jim, I should not have brought up WS-BaseFaults unless
there was more agreement to use SOAP Faults. Just to be clear,
WS-BaseFaults does not depend upon any other WSRF specs.

Bryan

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Little [mailto:mark.little@arjuna.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 13, 2004 1:58 AM
To: Murray, Bryan P.; ws-caf@lists.oasis-open.org

Bryan, as Jim mentioned, when the CAF specifications were first being
written we took the approach that SOAP faults would be used to convey
information about errors/faults that occurred from the comms. protocol
aspect, whereas application/specification specific faults would be
explicitly called out as messages in the specs. That was in line with
the way in which other specifications seemed to approach things too.

Are you saying that the approach of using SOAP faults to convey higher
level specification/implementation faults is the way things are moving
in the industry? If so, then you're right and we should re-examine this.

However, as to tying to WS-BaseFaults, I think that's a really bad idea
at this stage. For a start I have no idea where things coming from the
WS-RF TC will fit into a WS architecture - do you think that it's going
to be the case that all SOAP server vendors will really have to
implement some or all of WS-RF? If we go with SOAP faults then we're in
a pretty good place, since we can guarantee that all vendors will
implement that. Then there's the fact that WS-RF is just starting and
who knows that's going to happen in the next 12 months.

Let's tackle one thing at a time. I would be against any tie to WS-RF at
this stage, but as the work of that TC evolves and becomes clearer we
can always revisit the situation. There are several things that we have
deferred until a 1.x release, for example, and perhaps this is another
one of them.

Mark.

----
Mark Little,