Subject: Re: [ws-caf] proposal towards a resolution for issue 132

I think for interoperability purposes the type field is necessary. Whether it actually contains anything meaningful is up to the user and nothing we put into the WS-Context specification can prevent that. However, going back to the original notion that the context service should be useable by itself (without any augmentation), without the type field it does leave the interpretation open to ambiguity. I don't believe that mandating an extra URI is going to add anything in terms of overhead either.

My intention is to try to put up a few Kavi votes by the end of the week, so we'll eventually see how the rest of the TC feels.

Mark.

----
Mark Little,
Chief Architect, Transactions,
Arjuna Technologies Ltd.

www.arjuna.com
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, June 24, 2004 1:39 PM

I disagree with Peter (!) The meaning of a context may be circumstantial or implicit.

If all I want out of the base context is a guid, then that is reasonable. Any other information that allows me to understand the nature of the referencing specification can be supplied in the base context, but it could also be incorporated in the extension, or it may not be necessary at all in a particular application, which “knows” that a WS-Context is just being used as a handy guid, or (if extended) is of a singular type.

If I have only one type of context in my application, why should I be forced to identify that type, when the knowledge of type can only be used to differentiate contexts?

Further: the “meaning” of a context may be given by some more complex deduced type resulting from particular combination of values within the extended context. I do not think we can mandate a single view or expression of type.

I do not object to a type field, which I think makes it easy to do a popular thing (get the context service to yield up contexts of different types), but I don’t think it should be mandatory. One could also “type” (specialize) the yielded context after the context service manufactures it, or not type it at all. All are valid approaches.

This does illustrate (in my view) the exiguous nature of the value of the base context. That should not be concealed by artificially padding the base context with more content that it must hold on grounds of universal need.

Alastair