Subject: RE: [ws-caf] WS-Context Issue?

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin Conner [mailto:Kevin.Conner@arjuna.com]
Sent: 26 May 2005 09:28
To: Tony Fletcher
Cc: WS-CAF

Hiya Tony.

Tony Fletcher wrote:
> However this type does not seem to be used anywhere.  Is it now
> redundant or how is it used?  Does something need to be added to the
> schema to link it in?

I sent an email to the list a couple of weeks ago explaining its purpose, it
is connected with extending an enumerated value.  This was the most
expeditious solution and the least controversial (at least I thought so :-))
and is certainly not cast in stone.

There are only three mechanisms of achieving this, as far as I am aware.  By
convention (this way), by element substitution or by including schema
instance information.

> The type is imported into the CF schema where it is used as a simple
> restriction base for a CF  'StatusEnumerationType' ( with no actual
> restriction - why not extension?), but this type does not appear to be
> used in CF.  Same questions is it now redundant or how is it used?
> Does something need to be added to the schema to link it in?

The reason it is in CF is purely an architectural decision, allowing
referencing specifications to extend that type instead of incorporating the
context one.  Again, this is not cast in stone.

> Note that the 'status' element (/message) is based on the
> 'statusType'. These schema issues may need to be subservient to the
> more general discussion about 'status'.

I think there are still a few issues to be decided in this area, including
the potential removal of the status enumeration from context or even whether
to allow extension of status enumerations.  The mechanism used for extending
status will certainly change to comply with the other decisions.

	Kev

--
Kevin Conner
Arjuna Technologies Ltd.