Subject: Re: FW: [ws-caf] ACTION for optimization of registration

[Stuff deleted]

>Which brings us to another sub-issue that Mark questioned: why do we
>need a way of identifying inferiors?
>
>If the EPR mechanism has no means of communicating an application
>identity which can be understood, under some application contract, by
>both application elements (client/server, requester/responder or however
>you choose to model it), then it is not possible for the second method
>of checking to be supported, because the coordinator cannot present to
>the terminating application element a comprehensible view of the
>identity and number of the necessary inferiors. Note (in this respect)
>that a terminating application (the one that says "commit" in an ACID
>context) could legitimately exclude, rebuff or ignore unwanted or
>non-critical enlistments.
>
>As I understand WS-Addressing, the reference properties are defined to
>be opaque to the receiver: in other words they must be represented as
>part of the address in back-communication, so that the publisher of the
>address can map the back-message (reply if you like) to an internal
>endpoint which "lies beyond" the ostensible transport end-point, but no
>reliance or interpretation can legimately be put upon these properties
>for application-level correlation.

[More stuff deleted]

Good point. Yes, your interpretation of ReferenceParameters
(ReferenceProperties were dropped a while back
[http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/addr/wd-issues/#i001]) is correct, so
although EPRs may be unique, there is no way of actually determining
that within the bounds of the protocol.

Mark Little
Chief Architect
Arjuna Technologies Ltd