Subject: Re: [ws-caf] policy ai

Greg Pavlik wrote:

> Concerete proposals:
>
> 1) Following the convention of the WS-RX TC, I suggest we talk in
> terms of assertions as XML fragments that define declarative
> statements about what is required for the consumer to conform to its
> role in the protocol. WS-RX is currently modeled to comply with the
> latest version of WS-Policy: this draft does not allow declarative
> statements around assertions that do not alter the wire level message,
> ie, "observed" behavior of a service or so-called "informational
> policies". While I think this severely retards what we can reasonably
> achieve with Web services, I believe this is also a practical problem
> for us: policies around the isolation levels of a service (as have
> been proposed) clearly impact the decision to use a service rather
> than the specifics of the wire message itself. It is not clear how
> WS-Policy in its current form would regard a "No Support/Support"
> assertion.
>
> For the acid transaction protocol(s), I don't believe we will have to
> worry about intra-domain composition, but obviously we need to decide
> this as a group based on what we think is necessary.
>
> This proposal does not discuss the binding of policies to specific
> aspects of WSDL, eg, the operation, porttype, port and service level.
> I see no reason to restrict this.

In general I'd like to stay clear of tying policies to WSDL. That looks
too much like defining transactionality through inheritence (OTS
1.0/1.1) and all of the disadvantages that that entails. Do we need to
worry about where the policy assertions occur, or is that the domain of
something else?

Mark Little
Chief Architect
Arjuna Technologies Ltd