Subject: Relationship of WS-CAF to WS-TX

Hi,

I promised during the last concall to send email summarizing my suggestion for continued WS-CAF work to complement work planned by the WS-TX TC.

I believe many of us have observed many times that the situation with regard to the Web services transaction specifications is less than ideal, and many of us have also discussed many times the various reasons for this and events that have led to the current situation.  However we are now faced with the opportunity once again to bring the community together or somehow act in a way that continues the split.

In the ideal world we would not have had to consider what to do with a dual set of specifications based on the same approach, containing some overlap, and some complementary bits.  However, we do not live in that world.  Our opportunity now is to find the best way to reconcile the current situation and preserve as much as possible of the good work to which we have all contributed.

It is clear that WS-Context represents a new specification that describes a feature not proposed or considered by the WS-TX TC.  So I think we can all agree that this work needs to be completed, and it is on track to be completed soon.

I think we can also all agree that the BPM transaction model is beyond the scope of anything proposed or considered by the WS-TX TC.  I think we also should complete this work to ensure that it is maps to the WS-C specification.  A concern was raided during the last WS-CAF call about the instability of the WS-C specification during the coming year.  The current WS-C specification is very stable as specifications go, and the WS-CAF TC can easily track its progress.

Furthermore additional variations on the 2PC protocol and compensation based protocol may be of interest to some customers, rounding out a kind of “library” of pluggable protocols.

Comments?

Eric

+1 781 902 8366

fax: +1 781 902 8009