Subject: Jan 30 Concall Minutes

Draft minutes are attached.  New action items are prefixed by "AI:".

--Pete

Thus spoke Newcomer, Eric (Eric.Newcomer@iona.com) on Fri, Jan 27, 2006 at 08:31:14PM -0000:

--
Pete Wenzel <pete.wenzel@sun.com>
Sun Microsystems SOA & Business Integration
> Bi-weekly WS-CAF Conference Call has been modified by Eric Newcomer
>
> Date:  Monday, 30 January 2006
> Time:  08:00am - 09:00am PT
>
> Event Description:
> 8am PDT, 11 EDT, 16:00 BST.

> 1. Review Agenda

No additions to the proposed agenda.

> 2. Assign scribe

These minutes taken by Pete Wenzel.

> 3. Roll call (from Kavi record)

Eric Newcomer  	IONA Technologies*  	Group Member (co-chair)
Mark Little 	JBoss Inc.* 	Group Member
Martin Chapman 	Oracle Corporation* 	Group Member (co-chair)
Greg Pavlik 	Oracle Corporation* 	Group Member
Doug Bunting 	Sun Microsystems* 	Group Member
Pete Wenzel 	Sun Microsystems* 	Group Member
John Fuller* 	Werner Enterprises* 	Group Member

> 4. Approve Minutes from December 19

Mark makes motion to approve; seconded by Greg.
No objection to approval.

> 5. Review Action Items

Eric: Intend to draft notes on Context Language idea (pending).
No other action items.

> 6. Public review of ws-context
> http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-caf/email/archives/200512/msg00001.html

Editors need to change status of document on title page to read
  "Committee Specification", then submit to OASIS for standard vote.
Martin: Need 3 member companies to certify that they are using the
  specification.
Eric: Can they express intent to use it in a future product?
Martin: Clarified with OASIS staff last week; need to be using
  the *current* version of the spec.  Acceptability of statement is
  up to interpretation of staff.
Mark: JBoss can state intent to use.  Former member Ricardo Jimenez-
  Peris from U of Madrid has also implemented it.
Greg: Also EZ-ASAP sourceforge project.
Pete: Note that attesters must be OASIS member organizations.

Martin: Don't believe it's a good idea to seek Standard status at this
  point.  Question of timing; not in favor of rushing.  Good to have a
  little time for interop testing and spec debugging.  There is no
  formal errata process, so any bugs found require the entire process
  to be repeated for an updated version.  Let implementations catch up
  for a few months.
Eric: You propose to require the independent implementers to interop
  with each other?
Martin: Yes.
Mark: What is the difference between current version and last time we
  did interop testing?  It was not long ago.
Martin: Pass-by-reference wasn't covered.  Even though it's optional,
  it needs to be tested.
Mark: One way is to proceed, and include any fixes in a 1.1 version.
John: Wrote code for 2 interop tests.  There were subtle changes in the
  schema that required code changes.  Shouldn't take long to do.
Eric: Let's look into doing interop, even if not at an event, over the
  internet.

AI: Kevin (volunteered by Mark) to work on interop test plan.  Eric
  and John also express interest in participating.

Greg: Can't commit yet; need to check on resources.
Eric: Will ask for status on next call.

> 7. Status of WS-CF Review

Eric: Requested Jamie to begin public review period months ago.
  Should we keep after him?
Mark: No harm in asking for comments.
Martin: Unless the committee votes to change its decision, we have still
  approved going to public comment.

AI: Eric to follow up with Jamie Clark re WS-CF public review period.

> 8. Future direction of WS-CAF TC

Eric: After achieving an OASIS Standard, should we disband the TC?
  One possible work item:
  I have an idea for a language (schema) that identifies elements
  about multiple types of context that appear in a SOAP header.
  Another possibility:
  Is there something in the Transaction spec that is not covered
  in WS-TX set of specs?  Yes...  BT model, 2-phase commit variations
  (heuristics, 1-phase optimization).
  We could work on these in an "extended transaction model" TC.
John: In the case of UBL TC, it has subcommittees to coordinate such
  pieces; in other cases, multiple TCs were formed (WS-RF & WS-N).
Eric: If they are covered by the current WS-TX TC charter, they could
  be done in subcommittees of that TC.
Doug: Does our charter state that the TC will disappear after completing
  its initial deliverables?
Eric: (checking)  Just says "Revised specifications and primer".
  Doesn't say we must progress them to OASIS Standard.
Martin: By definition, when deliverables are complete, the committee
  is done.  The additional work items that Eric mentioned would
  require rechartering.
Eric: Believe proposed new work continues in the direction of the
  original specs, and so new charter is not needed.  The transaction
  models already exist in WS-TXM spec.  What do you believe the future
  of this TC should be?
Martin: Believe Oracle position is to finish Context interop, progress
  it to OASIS Standard, declare victory, and disband; charter a new TC
  to work on the differences between the transaction specs.
Eric: Co-chairs could work on a proposal for progression.
Martin: Would like to hear other opinions, even if privately.
Eric: Request that other members make their views known.  Will discuss
  again on next call.

AI: Eric & Martin to propose TC future direction.

> 9. AOB

None.  Meeting adjourned.