Subject: Re: [ws-caf] Future of WS-Context

     I am interested in Mark's questions, too.  [1]

     The simplest one to answer is whether WS-CF can go out for public
review.   It already has.  [2]

     A less simple one is whether it is worth doing work, if one of three
large US software companies don't front it.  (Or, overlooking Mark's
choices, any similar list.)   That's for this committee to decide.  It's a
fine thing for TCs to look up occasionally, and ask, "is this project still
needed"?   By all means, if a project is a waste of time, it ought to stand
down.
     But is it?  With apologies to Mark, his criteria may be a bit
myopic.  It's fairly clear from experience that success and failure in XML
and SOA are not driven exclusively by large US software
companies.  Sometimes success absolutely happens because of them.  Other
times it happens without them.
     The better predictor of success for OASIS output, across our history
and that of similar orgs, seems to be early adopter pickup by buy-side
users in genuine production. (As opposed to vendor announcements of
inclusion in tools -- also a factor, but less of one, I think, for reasons
we could discuss if you like.)
     In that light -- whether actual users express a demand for WS-CAF or
its unique functions -- how does WS-CAF look?

     A while ago, I had the impression that WS-CAF was working from a base
theory close to the old MSFT/IBM proprietary WS-C and WS-T.  So is OASIS
WS-TX, I gather.  OK, if so, that raises a simple *technical*
question.  Will WS-TX do everything WS-CAF can?  Or everything that will
matter to customers?   Is this just a VHS-Betamax thing, with a delta
uninteresting to users, or is there significant functional
distinction?   Can anyone point us to recent info, or reasonably articulate
public conjectures, about this?   Apologies for asking -- I recall some
earlier chat, such as [3], but not so much recently.   I am sure there is
some discussion about this, well known to those of you who concentrate on
the area, that I just haven't readily located.

     Regards  Jamie

~   James Bryce Clark
~   Director, Standards Development, OASIS
~   jamie.clark@oasis-open.org

[1]

[2] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/tc-announce/200602/msg00015.html

[3] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ws-caf/200403/msg00030.html