Subject: Re: [ws-caf] Future of WS-Context

James, what you're not seeing, and perhaps is not recorded sufficiently
in the minutes of the meetings over the past 9 months or so, is the fact
that we have discussed this subject on a number of occasions. My
original email was deliberately not detailed because I think the people
left on this group from companies such as Oracle, IONA and JBoss know
the issue sufficiently well.

James Bryce Clark wrote:
>     I am interested in Mark's questions, too.  [1]
>
>     The simplest one to answer is whether WS-CF can go out for public
> review.   It already has.  [2]
>
>     A less simple one is whether it is worth doing work, if one of
> three large US software companies don't front it.  (Or, overlooking
> Mark's choices, any similar list.)   That's for this committee to
> decide.  It's a fine thing for TCs to look up occasionally, and ask,
> "is this project still needed"?   By all means, if a project is a
> waste of time, it ought to stand down.

I don't think this is necessarily a waste of time and in an ideal world
all of our companies would have sufficient people and time to put on
every specification that's out there. Unfortunately we don't live in an
ideal world and the time has come for us all to either commit to doing
more work in WS-CAF, or to agree that it has done its job once
WS-Context is adopted. I don't want WS-CAF to suffer the kind of long,
slow death that some other OASIS TCs have (names removed to protect the
innocent!)

>     But is it?  With apologies to Mark, his criteria may be a bit
> myopic.  It's fairly clear from experience that success and failure in
> XML and SOA are not driven exclusively by large US software companies.

In this space, I think they are.

> Sometimes success absolutely happens because of them.  Other times it
> happens without them.

In general I agree, but specifically I can't: you only have to look at
the history of transaction processing systems to see that.

>     The better predictor of success for OASIS output, across our
> history and that of similar orgs, seems to be early adopter pickup by
> buy-side users in genuine production. (As opposed to vendor
> announcements of inclusion in tools -- also a factor, but less of one,
> I think, for reasons we could discuss if you like.)
>     In that light -- whether actual users express a demand for WS-CAF
> or its unique functions -- how does WS-CAF look?

In the area of (Web Services) transactions, without the backing of
*several* major players such as IBM, Oracle, BEA, MSFT and JBoss, a
specification is highly unlikely to be adopted by end users. Take a look
at BTP for example: irrespective of what you may think of it
technically, as soon as BEA, HP and Oracle dropped out, it was doomed.
To that end, we as a TC need to ask ourselves the following questions.
Is there any point in continuing if the main thrust of this work is
being done elsewhere (WS-TX)? I think we're all agreed that there are
deficiencies in WS-TX that don't appear in WS-CAF and we could provide
this added-value work on top of WS-TX, but that would require a
re-charter of WS-CAF. Do we re-charter, or start up another TC? Without
the backing of other members from the current WS-TX TC, would either
approach be worth while?

>     A while ago, I had the impression that WS-CAF was working from a
> base theory close to the old MSFT/IBM proprietary WS-C and WS-T.  So
> is OASIS WS-TX, I gather.  OK, if so, that raises a simple *technical*
> question.  Will WS-TX do everything WS-CAF can?

Ignoring WS-Context (which I want us to adopted in WS-CAF), then WS-TX
will do 80%-90% of what WS-CF/WS-TXM does.

>   Or everything that will matter to customers?   Is this just a
> VHS-Betamax thing, with a delta uninteresting to users, or is there
> significant functional distinction?

WS-Context is a significant difference. There's also an additional
transaction model in WS-TXM that is no provided for in WS-TX. If we had
commitment from all TC members to continue in WS-CAF, then, as I said in
my first email, I'd be happy to continue. But in this space it really
does require a critical mass.

>    Can anyone point us to recent info, or reasonably articulate public
> conjectures, about this?

Maybe the minutes of some teleconferences, but I can't be sure.
>   Apologies for asking -- I recall some earlier chat, such as [3], but
> not so much recently.   I am sure there is some discussion about this,
> well known to those of you who concentrate on the area, that I just
> haven't readily located.

Mark.