Subject: FW: [ws-calendar] Please review to discuss at tomorrow's meeting

Forwarded for Benoit

"If something is not worth doing, it`s not worth doing well" - Peter Drucker

Toby Considine
TC9, Inc

OASIS Technical Advisory Board
TC Chair: oBIX & WS-Calendar

TC Editor: EMIX, EnergyInterop

Email: Toby.Considine@gmail.com
Phone: (919)619-2104

http://www.tcnine.com/
blog: www.NewDaedalus.com

From: b.lepeuple@arcinfo.com [mailto:b.lepeuple@arcinfo.com]
Sent: Friday, April 30, 2010 9:58 AM
To: Toby.Considine@gmail.com

Hi Toby,

For administrative reasons, I can not actually post to the TC list. These things are hard to fix ;-)

Thanks for the wd03 posting. Here are my comments for later discussion.

Line 246/247

This specification will be derived from and compatible the existing iCalendar XML specification and offer some or all of the functionality of that specification.

è  Move to 2.1 Scope instead of 2.2 Deliverables

Line 270 - 3.2 Time

à Is a Time element only a time info (hour, minute, second, millisecond) or a DateTime or Time instant (with the idea of “a time” is an absolute point in time: Year, month, day, hour …) ? Might be confusing and perhaps a lot in common with the TimeStamp element

Line 273 and 294

The Duration paragraph appears twice. Should be merged.

Line 297

Some attributes of the TimeStamp element would benefit from being isolated so that they are not transferred over the wire with each timestamp (see below for an additionnal element).

Add a 3.x section with an element such as TimestampingCapabilities or ClockInfo, and move in it part of what is on the TimeStamp element:

LeapSecondsKnown

ClockFailure

ClockNotSynchronized

TimeAccuracy

As an alternative:

-       The Time element is the “basic” DateTime, and the TimeStamp is the fully qualified (including a time-typed attribute and a set of other attributes as described in 3.6). In this case, the name TimeStamp might benefit from changing

Line 302 – Attribute TimeAccuracy

I do not think TimeAccuracy will be usable if typed xs:Duration. First because a low-accuracy device would not be able to “interpret” correctly the xs:Duration value received from a very accurate device. Second, my view is that the exact accuracy is useless; only the order of magnitude is useful. This attribute would benefit from being a value coming from an enumeration, and only a few values would be possible with the different orders of magnitude considered interesting: {Less than 1 ms, from 1 to 10 ms, less than 1s, less than 10s, less than 1min, more than 1 min}.

Line 336 – Schedule set

Most of what I have in mind is related to BMS / energy management within buildings, and in particular the Schedule and Calendar objects of BACnet or LonMark profiles or Loytec devices. I think we should specify the ws-calendar elements so that the ability to translate from/to these existing objects is possible (the same way we discussed this ability between iCal/xCal and ws-calendar). It would be good to discuss this point and if agreed, a calendar object should be introduced, and the Schedule set would need a partial rework (along with the interval element).

Some other elements that will be required:

-       Versatile means of describing time instants: Sunset, sunrise, midday, midnight and probably some others

-       Versatile means of describing recurring time instants: Hourly, daily, weekly, monthly, yearly, in particular (but not only) with the ability of using Day of week, Day of month … something we already discussed and more or less existing in iCal

Kind regards

Benoît Lepeuple