Subject: RE: [ws-calendar] Comments on WS-Calendar-1 0-spec-wd-06.pdf

Benoît:

This is great feedback.  I think I agree with everything you itemized; though I have not gone through each item with a strong comparison to the doc just yet.

There was one item that you asked about that I think/hope I can clarify:

---

Line 368 and 369: This statement sounds weird to me. “From 4:00 ending at 5:00” and “One hour beginning at 4:00” are the 2 ways to expressed the strictly same anchored period of time. They are equivalent in the mathematical sense. So how/why the services may be quite different ?

---

In this above example, they may be equivalent but there are at least two situations where they are not equivalent:

1)  If the times were changed to:  “From 1:30 AM ending at 2:30 AM” and “One hour beginning at 1:30 AM”

In the US, these two example scenarios are different two days of each year: Daylight Saving Time change-over and Standard Time change-over (where the DST changes at the previous local time of 2AM).  The first example scenario should produce an event that is either 0 minutes long or 120 minutes long (depending on spring-forward or fall-back rules).  The second example should produce an event that is 60 minutes long regardless of any DST issues.

DTEND - DTSTART = 0 || 120 minutes

DURATION = 60 minutes

2)  Keeping the same times as in the example:  “From 4:00 ending at 5:00” and “One hour beginning at 4:00”

If something prevents a scheduled action from starting right at 4:00 (instead causing it to start at 4:10, for example; the ‘Realized’ time), then the first example scenario should produce an event that is 50 minutes long, ending at 5:00.  The second example should produce an event that is 60 minutes long; ending at 5:10.

DTEND - Realized(DTSTART) = 50 minutes

DURATION = 60 minutes

Again: great review of the doc; thanks.

Cheers,