Subject: FW: [tc-xml-l] Is there a difference?

fyi

"If something is not worth doing, it`s not worth doing well" - Peter Drucker

Toby Considine
TC9, Inc

OASIS Technical Advisory Board
TC Chair: oBIX & WS-Calendar

TC Editor: EMIX, EnergyInterop

U.S. National Inst. of Standards and Tech. Smart Grid Architecture Committee

Email: Toby.Considine@gmail.com
Phone: (919)619-2104

http://www.tcnine.com/
blog: www.NewDaedalus.com

From: tc-xml-l-bounces@lists.calconnect.org [mailto:tc-xml-l-bounces@lists.calconnect.org] On Behalf Of Tong Li
Sent: Monday, June 14, 2010 4:17 AM
To: Mike Douglass
Cc: tc-xml-l-bounces@lists.calconnect.org; tc-xml-l@lists.calconnect.org
Subject: Re: [tc-xml-l] Is there a difference?

A) and B) seem the same but can vary quite bit.. A) says that the X lasts one hour, however B) says start at 2:00 and end at 3:00, but it may not be one hour, consider DST time, it could be two hours, or 1 hour 45 minutes, there is one timezone which DST time starts at 1:45am. Using starting and ending can possibly lead to problems without further information. Keep thinking about RESTful, I would recommend take A). This is the lesson learned from real product. We were using starting and ending, because all the DST problems, we changed it to starting and duration. It has worked a lot better.

On the question of if we should allow both, I would say one is better purely from a programmer's perspective.

Just 2 cents.

Thanks.

Tong Li
LotusLive iNotes Calendar Architect
Unit 1106-08, Cyberport 2
100 Cyberport Road,
Pokfulam, Hong Kong
(852) 3515-5159
litong01@us.ibm.com

Inactive hide details for Mike Douglass ---06/11/2010 11:07:43 AM---There's probably no good reason for both other than some prMike Douglass ---06/11/2010 11:07:43 AM---There's probably no good reason for both other than some prefer one over the other as a UI issue.

Mike Douglass <douglm@rpi.edu>

tc-xml-l@lists.calconnect.org

06/11/2010 11:07 AM

Re: [tc-xml-l] Is there a difference?

There's probably no good reason for both other than some prefer one over the other as a UI issue.

A) is almost always a good choice.

C) is not allowed and really means the same as A) only more confusing