Subject: RE: [ws-calendar] How degenerate can a partition be?

If we define a partition in a more general sense as a set of consecutive intervals wherein the end of one interval is coincident with the start of the next then the case where every interval in a partition has the same duration is a special degenerate case which probably merits removing the duration parameter from all the intervals.  On the other hand if we want to allow partitions with intervals of different durations the duration parameter will need to stay.

-ed koch

From: Toby Considine [mailto:tobyconsidine@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Toby Considine
Sent: Sunday, August 08, 2010 9:17 AM
To: ws-calendar@lists.oasis-open.org; 'tc-xml-l tc-xml-l Reflector'
Subject: [ws-calendar] How degenerate can a partition be?

In WD08, we use Partition to describe a series of nearly identical time slices. 15 minute pricing for the day is an example of the use of Partitions.

Can we leave out Duration entirely from the VTODO object that expresses each interval in a Partition? It his legal only in Partitions, and if so, dues the Duration expressed for the first Interval hold for all others. Does this cause any problems for the XCal processors?

The follow on question, of course, is if the Duration attribute is optional for all Intervals after the first one in a Partition, Is its use forbidden in all Intervals after the first one in a Partition

tc

“It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it” -- Upton Sinclair.

Toby Considine
TC9, Inc

OASIS Technical Advisory Board
TC Chair: oBIX & WS-Calendar

TC Editor: EMIX, EnergyInterop

U.S. National Inst. of Standards and Tech. Smart Grid Architecture Committee

Email: Toby.Considine@gmail.com
Phone: (919)619-2104

http://www.tcnine.com/
blog: www.NewDaedalus.com