Subject: CalWSRest interface and error codes

Hi,

Following last week discussion on the draft RESTFul interface from CalWS, I have only one remark (or concern):

In the XML element to describe and return error conditions, it is important for globalization/localization reasons to ensure that errors are not only identified by a text description, but also by a unique Id (an error code).

Of course, it does not prevent from having a text description and a one to one relationship between each “error code” and its default text description value (in English by default in the spec).

The error code used for a given error condition should always be the good one, but the text description could be localized differently depending on the context.

For example, in:

<D:error>

<C:supported-filter>

<C:prop-filter name="X-ABC-GUID"/>

</C:supported-filter>

<D:description>Unknown property </C:description>

</D:error>

If I understand it well, the D:Description element IS the unique Id of the error, and the C:supported-filter contains more information about the error.

But, there may be different errors having (or using) the same C:supported-filter: Unknown property, invalid property …

There shall be an unambiguous way to identify the various errors, without having only the text description to rely on.

We have already done or seen this in various contexts, if interested, I could share more information / tips.

Thanks for sharing your remarks on that.

Regards

Benoît LEPEUPLE

Product Manager

ARC Informatique

2 avenue de la cristallerie - 92310  SEVRES  - FRANCE

Tel: +33 1 41 14 36 00 - Mobile: +33 6 87 80 20 43

Email : b.lepeuple@arcinfo.com

www.pcvuesolutions.com