Subject: Availability and Time Windows

Much of today’s meeting dealt with issues of availability. In particular, it was pointed out the risks of indicating the availability of a resource for a day without specifying a time zone. Much conversation ensued, around the realization that such days always have an implicit logic. Think of “Tonight’s Low Temperature”, which on weather reports always seems to last until Dawn. Opposite results, of course,  guide the understanding of the offer of evening wind power during the Shabbat.

Clearly these should be defined windows, that could be mapped to UTC…

A few years back, the iCalendar community nearly adopted the vavailability object as a peer of vtodo, vevent, and the rest of the vgang.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-daboo-calendar-availability-01

As we have long planned, the extensions to iCalendar that we need will be proposed back through the iCalendar community to the IETF by CalConnect. CalConnect members were the source of the original vavailability RFC. Our plan this week is to incorporate it into the ws-calendar extensions to iCalendar.

tc

“It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it” -- Upton Sinclair.

Toby Considine
TC9, Inc

OASIS Technical Advisory Board
TC Chair: oBIX & WS-Calendar

TC Editor: EMIX, EnergyInterop

U.S. National Inst. of Standards and Tech. Smart Grid Architecture Committee

Email: Toby.Considine@gmail.com
Phone: (919)619-2104

http://www.tcnine.com/
blog: www.NewDaedalus.com