Subject: Transactional Validation and Restricted Profiles

There is a lot of interest in a version of the key components (interval, gluon, vavailability) that is restricted to be simple, concise, and predictable for use in transaction processing. While researching approaches to this, I came across this interesting document defined profiling in GML.

http://portal.opengeospatial.org/files/?artifact_id=11266

found on this page

http://www.ogcnetwork.net/gml-sf

This paragraph in particular caught my eye…

Clause 8 describes a rigid coding pattern for GML application schemas. The main motivation behind this pattern is to limit the set of XML-Schema and GML features that may be used to code a GML application schema. This in turn should simplify the task of building clients that can ingest schema documents that conform to this coding pattern and understand the structure of the feature types defined within.

The schema is implemented in

http://schemas.opengis.net/gml/3.1.1/profiles/gmlsfProfile/1.0.0/gmlsf.xsd

Which appears to be similar to our icalendar.xsd in purpose, i.e., a pointer to the underlying vals and properties. If we followed this, we could have a fully declared and specified restriction set on WS-Calendar that uses the alternate icalendar-transaction,xsd [sic] to define objects that are compliant with the standard icalendar.xsd, but have the optionality severely restricted.

tc

“The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.”
– George Bernard Shaw.

Toby Considine
TC9, Inc

TC Chair: oBIX & WS-Calendar

TC Editor: EMIX, EnergyInterop

U.S. National Inst. of Standards and Tech. Smart Grid Architecture Committee

Email: Toby.Considine@gmail.com
Phone: (919)619-2104

http://www.tcnine.com/
blog: www.NewDaedalus.com