Subject: Re: [ws-calendar] construction pattern for property identifiers in the REST spec

Toby,

Thanks for taking the action item to fix the property identifiers in the
next WD for ws-calendar-rest [4]

As I was closing windows earlier today, I composed a note for the
TC Admin team to clarify rationale our historic practice, per the
Naming Directives document, on construction of these identifiers.
I think the writeup may be useful more broadly, so I'm posting it to
your WS-Calendar TC and will (thereby) get a re-usable reference:

Cheers,

- Robin

If an OASIS TC's Work Product provides identifiers (strings)
using [OASIS URNs or] URIs that begin with http://,
then the identifiers need to conform to the prescribed
pattern [1] which encodes the name of the TC (tc-shortname)
in the identifier, consistent with declared [3] namespace
names in XML

  http://docs.oasis-open.org/[tc-shortname]/ns/xxxx

Details:

Such identifiers may identify virtually anything of importance
in the scope of a specification: names for link relations,
properties, functions, faults, dialects, actions, or messages
(typed message names from a list of types). Anything that
needs to be named or enumerated can use these URI-based
identifier strings. [2]

The reason we require the TC name (tc-shortname) to be placed
in the identifier is so that OASIS can administer names without
the fear of collision.  In theory, two different specs from the
same TC could create conflicting identifiers, but if they
did so, the error is the TC's problem (for revision or errata).

OASIS TC Admin simply enforces the framework for assignment
(allocation, management) of names by requiring incorporation
of the TC name in the prescribed pattern.  We do not have any
other administrative mechanism for management of names in
(name) spaces, and we have no scalable technical solution
for any applicable server-level functions if TCs could mint
ad hoc names of any just kind based just upon http://.

Finally, it should be obvious from the above that one OASIS
TC cannot declare formal identifiers using the "tc-shortname"
of a different TC: each TC manages names/identifiers in its
own namespace, and in no others.  Similarly, a Work Product
should not create identifiers based upon (Internet Domain)
names owned by other organizations, and organizations outside
OASIS cannot create (valid) identifiers using the Internet
Domains owned by OASIS (e.g., oasis-open.org, as in HTTP
scheme: http://docs.oasis-open.org ).

====== Refs:

[1] namespace name construction and associated identifiers
http://docs.oasis-open.org/specGuidelines/ndr/namingDirectives.html#ns-URI-string-rules

[2] identifiers for properties, actions, messageTypes, etc
http://docs.oasis-open.org/specGuidelines/ndr/namingDirectives.html#nonInformationResources

[3] XML namespace name declaration (using a family of reserved attributes)
http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/REC-xml-names-20091208/#dt-NSDecl

======

[4] WD03  [-wd03  still has the errant identifier strings

WS-Calendar Calendar Update and Synchronization with REST-based Services Version 1.0

Working Draft 02

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/45178/ws-calendar-rest-v1.0-wd03.pdf