ws-dd-comment message

Subject: FW: WS-DD 1.1 2009/01

Below are comments on the Web Services Dynamic Discovery (WS-Discovery) Version 1.1 Public Review Draft 01 28 January 2009.

In section ‘4.1.3 Discovery Proxy’, bullet four, you might consider a statement that clarifies that the hello should be sent regardless of any Type or Scopes that might be in the request.  At first I thought that the Hello should only be sent in response to a Probe or Resolve for d:DiscoveryProxy type requests.

Additionally, I can see how the Hello response reduces network traffic for discovery proxy aware clients (Win7), but I think that it misses a use case for non discovery proxy aware clients (Vista).  If a target service on subnet A provisions a discovery proxy on subnet B via a managed mode Hello, then any non discovery proxy aware clients on network B will not discover the target service.

You might consider stating that the proxy MAY return ProbeMatch or ResolveMatch elements for target services that were provisioned via managed mode, or for all target services where their XAddrs are on a different subnet from where the Probe was received.