ws-dd message

Subject: Issue 042 - DPWS - Allow use of replyTo with non-anonymous addresses

This issue is assigned the number 042. For further discussions on this issue, please refer to this issue number or use this thread.

-----Original Message-----
From: Antoine Mensch [mailto:antoine.mensch@odonata.fr]
Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2008 3:52 PM
To: Ram Jeyaraman

Please defer discussions on this issue until a time this issue is
accepted and is assigned a number.

Document: DPWS
Location (defaults to line number): 254
Owner: Antoine Mensch

R0031 prohibits the use of the replyTo header with a value different
from the "anonymous" URI. This restriction appeared in the latest
version of the DPWS spec (it used to be a MAY reject). We have used this
feature in our implementation and applications to support an
"asynchronous" request/reply behavior, where the response is delivered
to the sender through a different HTTP connection than the one used for
the request. This behavior is very useful in case of electromechanical
devices, which do not have instantaneous responses to commands. We would
like to see this possibility back in the profile, especially since in
our experience, the implementation of this feature is very similar to
the one of WS-Eventing notifications, and requires only a very small
amount of code in addition to the WS-Eventing code.
Alternatively, we should limit the restriction to apply only for the
standard SOAP1.2 HTTP binding, leaving the door open to other bindings
(based or not on HTTP) better adapted to the specific requirements of
devices (standardizing such additional bindings should probably be left
to future work or domain-specific standards).
Proposed resolution: