ws-dd message

Subject: RE: Need hosts for face-to-face meetings; location for firstinterop event

Whoops – that should have been 3-5 February 2009. Sorry for the typo!

Toby Nixon  |  Senior Standards Program Manager  |  Windows Device and Storage Technologies  |  Microsoft Corporation

toby.nixon@microsoft.com  |  www.microsoft.com | V: +1 425 706 2792  |  M: +1 206 790 6377  |  F: +1 425 708 4811

From: Toby Nixon [mailto:Toby.Nixon@microsoft.com]
Sent: Friday, September 19, 2008 4:41 PM
To: ws-dd@lists.oasis-open.org

Thanks again to you all for a very successful first meeting of WS-DD TC. We made great progress! I appreciate all those who accepted various roles and tasks.

I’d like to remind all of you that the TC established dates for our next two face-to-face meetings as 2-4 December 2008 and 3-5 February 2008. These have been entered into the online calendar with locations TBD. Several members are considering the possibility of hosting these meetings; we look forward to hearing from you soon.

It was suggested that we may want to have an interop event in late November or early December, and that the interop event could potentially be the same week and at the same location as the December face-to-face meeting. In the discussion, several members preferred co-location because they would be likely to attend both the interop and the TC meeting, while others indicated they likely would have different people participating in each and thus co-location would not necessarily be beneficial. Concern was raised that having the TC meeting immediately after the interop (consecutive days) wouldn’t allow enough time to diagnose problems and identify changes needed to address ambiguities or errors in the specifications. Since not all members of the TC were able to participate in this discussion, we’d like to continue the discussion in email.

Please reply to this thread with your thoughts on the following questions:

·         Should we set a goal of having an interop event in late November or early December? This would mean settling on a committee draft by mid-October to allow sufficient time for necessary code changes.

·         Assuming this goal is set, would you be able to produce an implementation and participate in the event?

·         Should the interop event and face-to-face meeting be at the same location during the same week (e.g., Monday-Tuesday for interop, Wednesday-Thursday for face-to-face), or should they be more separated in time (which makes co-location irrelevant)?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Best regards,

            -- Toby