ws-dd message

Subject: Re: [ws-dd] Couple of questions on Understanding Devices Profilefor Web Services, WS-Discovery, and SOAP-over-UDP

Hi Doug,

please see further comments below.

Cheers

Antoine

Doug Davis a écrit :

> Hi Antoine and Ram
>   thanks for the responses.
> 1 - I struggled with whether DPWS could (or should) say anything about
> this too - part of me does agree that its an implementation choice.
>  But figured I'd pose the question anyway in case some guidance
> emerged as part the discussion.
> 2- Antonie said:
>         In the case of DPWS however, the transport addresses are
> enough, as the profile requires the use of the SOAP1.2 over HTTP binding.
>   could you elaborate on this one?  Ram seemed to indicate in his
> answer that the xaddrs would be one of those unique IDs (e.g. UUID)
> and not a network address.  Is this what you mean too?
No. In the Hello/ProbeMatches/ResolveMatches messages, there are two
address-related elements:
- A mandatory wsa:EndpointReference element, which contains the stable
identifier. This can feature reference parameters. In DPWS, the use of
UUIDs is recommended for the address element of this EPR.
- An optional wsd:XAddrs element, which contains a list of transport
addresses URIs (and not UUIDs). In my previous answer, I was trying to
say that it could be useful to have EPRs instead, because they could
carry more info such as policy and binding, but that in the case of
DPWS, we don't need this additional info because the spec restricts the
binding to be used to SOAP1.2 over HTTP. So we are happy with the
transport address as it is (in fact, I did not answer your question,
which may be the reason why my answer was confusing).
You were asking whether having EPRs in wsd: WAddrs could be useful to
distinguish between the transport address of the target service (device)
and that of its hosted services by using reference parameters: it could
be useful, but it is probably not required, as hosted services can
define their own endpoints, possibly with reference parameters, so there
is no ambiguity. One important aspect to keep in mind is that discovery
messages are carried over UDP, so we should try to keep them short, to
avoid packet fragmentation.