ws-dd message

Subject: Re: [ws-dd] Issue 049 - WS-Discovery - Forced managed mode transitionfor the client

Hi everybody,

although we just decided to accept the resolution of this issue for
WS-Discovery CD1, it occurred to me that the proposed resolution
introduces a new problem: While previously the reception of the Hello
from the DP would require the Client to switch to managed mode,
presumably preventing it to send multicast messages in the future, the
relaxation of the rule means that a Client may not switch to managed
mode, will continue to send multicast requests, and will therefore
receive a Hello message from the DP each time it will issue such a
request. This does not seem right.

I am not suggesting to go back to the previous solution, as it creates
too strong constraints on both the DP and the Client. My suggestion
would rather be to altogether drop the automatic mode switch feature:
interested clients could either probe for a DP at startup or listen to
DP announcements, while uninterested ones will just go along unchanged.
This will also have the side-effect of considerably simplifying the spec.

I am sending this as a comment in the context of WS-Discovery CD1, but
would be quite happy to leave it as an open issue if it seems too big a
change.

Cheers

Antoine