ws-dd message

Subject: Issue 140 - DPWS - Clean up HTTP authentication

This issue is assigned the number 140. For further discussions on this issue, please refer to this issue number or use this thread.

From: Dan Driscoll
Sent: Tuesday, December 16, 2008 5:31 PM
To: Ram Jeyaraman
Subject: NEW Issue - DPWS - Clean up HTTP authentication

Document: DPWS

DPWS takes an inconsistent stand on HTTP Basic Authentication.  R4069 requires support.

R4069: CLIENTs and DEVICEs MUST support HTTP Basic Authentication.

But the HTTP authentication section (part of 7.1.10) is written such that HTTP auth is only used if the device requires it.  If HTTP auth is an optional part of the security model (on top of TLS/SSL authentication with x.509 certificates) the requirements around HTTP auth should be cleaned up so its use is described, but is not mandatory in all cases.

We discussed the use of HTTP auth at the 2nd F2F meeting.  There was some discussion about scenarios where HTTP auth could be useful—I would like to hear more about these scenarios.

Proposed change: Relax HTTP authentication so it is optional for clients and devices that only wish to use x.509 authentication.