ws-dd message

Subject: RE: [ws-dd] RE: Issue 032 - DPWS - clarify behavior when a devicecontains secure and insecure services at the same time

That’s a good point—Section 7 is one big security profile, and behavioral recommendations made in other sections should not be contingent upon which security profile is active.

The goal of this text is to prevent implementers from mixing and matching security profiles.  Whether it supports “at most one profile” or “exactly one profile” depends on whether you consider an unsecured device to be implementing the profile of no security, or to be implementing no security profile at all.

It’s probably clearer to say that the device may support at most one profile.

--D

From: Anthony Nadalin [mailto:drsecure@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 31, 2008 7:30 AM
To: Dan Driscoll
Cc: Ram Jeyaraman; ws-dd@lists.oasis-open.org

>is defined by the transport addresses of the DEVICE: HTTP transport addresses indicate the device supports no security, and HTTPS transport addresses >indicate the device supports the security profile defined in this section.
>
>A DEVICE may exclusively support only one security profile at a time, including the profile defined in this section, or no security profile whatsoever.

I think that this is confusing, as no security should mean NO security profile. There is no default profile I assume. I also assume that we are defining a TLS and a HTTPS profile for now and will be looking at a WS-Security profile

Inactive hide details for Dan Driscoll ---12/22/2008 10:05:06 AM---Currently issue 32 is marked pending, but I’ll mail out theDan Driscoll ---12/22/2008 10:05:06 AM---Currently issue 32 is marked pending, but I’ll mail out the text separately since we have an AI on this issue.

Dan Driscoll <Dan.Driscoll@microsoft.com>

Ram Jeyaraman <Ram.Jeyaraman@microsoft.com>, "ws-dd@lists.oasis-open.org" <ws-dd@lists.oasis-open.org>

12/22/2008 10:05 AM

[ws-dd] RE: Issue 032 - DPWS - clarify behavior when a device contains secure and insecure services at the same time

Currently issue 32 is marked pending, but I’ll mail out the text separately since we have an AI on this issue.

Proposed updated text:
7 Security

This section defines a RECOMMENDED baseline for interoperable security between a DEVICE and a CLIENT. A DEVICE (or CLIENT) is free to support other security mechanisms in addition to, or in place of, this mechanism as specified by WSDL [WSDL 1.1], policies [WS-Policy], or by other mechanisms means.

In the absence of an explicit indication stating that a different security mechanism is to be used, the default security mechanism defined here is assumed to apply is defined by the transport addresses of the DEVICE: HTTP transport addresses indicate the device supports no security, and HTTPS transport addresses indicate the device supports the security profile defined in this section.

A DEVICE may exclusively support only one security profile at a time, including the profile defined in this section, or no security profile whatsoever.

This informative text will be supported by normative statements about the concrete minimum security model.