ws-dd message

Subject: Re: [ws-dd] DPWS Security changes

Hi Dan,

see additional comments below

Cheers

Antoine

Dan Driscoll a écrit :

> Hi Antoine-
>
> /1) I see that R009 mentions the case of DEVICEs using a physical/
>
> /transport address as its EPR. I assume this addition is for supporting/
>
> /the existing Vista security model. However, it is inconsistent with the/
>
> /certificate description in section 7.8.3, which says that the subject/
>
> /must be the device UUID. So if you want to keep this new requirement,/
>
> /you may want to update the certificate description./
>
> I disagree—7.8.3 shows an example certificate, and the text that
> follows simply explains the example. Additionally R4043 allows DEVICEs
> to share certificates; if DEVICEs MUST have unique identities (R0005)
> but MAY share certificates (R4043), there is no expectation that the
> Subject field be a substring of the device ID.

You're right, but maybe we need to explain better that both the value of
the Subject (the UUID value) and its type (UUID) are examples: a naive
reader (like me) could consider that only the values are specific to the
example, and that the type is part of the spec.

> Except for the example, the spec is intentionally silent on the
> content of the certificates, and how clients validate them.
>
> /2) I am still not completely clear about the secure DEVICE/HOSTED/
>
> /SERVICE relationship: because security is so CPU-intensive, in the/
>
> /interest of performances and energy saving on small devices, we may want/
>
> /to have only a subset of secure HS on a device (e.g. configuration/
>
> /services, but not control ones). So in fact we have two options:/
>
> /a) allow unsecure devices to expose secure HS: I understand this could/
>
> /be a problem for the default security model, as it would be more/
>
> /difficult to authenticate the HS with the unique device certificate./
>
> /This would require each HS to have its own certificate, so it is a/
>
> /different security model./
>
> The DEVICE must be protected to ensure an attacker does not
> impersonate the DEVICE and deliver non-secure HOSTED SERVICE
> addresses. In cases where it makes sense to leave the DEVICE open to
> impersonation but protect HOSTED SERVICEs, I recommend relying on an
> alternate security profile.

As I said above, I agree with you on this case.

> / /
>
> /b) allow secure devices to expose unsecure HS: I don't see a good reason/
>
> /why this should not be allowed in the default security model, so it/
>
> /seems to me that we should support it, which means that R5010 may be a/
>
> /problem./
>
> The HOSTED SERVICEs are ultimately the primary reason why we want
> security in the first place: I expect any concerns about
> confidentiality and authentication apply more to the HOSTED SERVICEs
> than to the DEVICE.

I agree, hence the reason why I also considered case a. above.

> As a customer, I would care more about an unauthorized client /using
> /my device than I do about them getting metadata. I think an alternate
> security profile is the right solution here, as well.

Let's take a simple temperature sensor: one might want to use it for
both providing information and sending alarms when the temperature
exceeds a given limit. While accessing the value may not create specific
security issues, changing the alarm threshold might: so the GetData
service could be unsecure, and the Configure service secure.
I don't see reasons (maybe you can point out some) why having an
unsecure service on a secure device would create problems for the
default security model: the client would just not use the secure channel
to talk to the unsecure service.

> /3) Still on the relation between DEVICE and HOSTED SERVICES, I see that/
>
> /you have updated section 7.9. However:/
>
> /a) Shouldn't we update R4057 to use SERVICE instead of DEVICE?/
>
> Good catch—this was an oversight on my part. I’ll fix this.
>
> /b) Does the security model work if the CLIENT tries to use a different/
>
> /secure channel to communicate with a HS than the one used to communicate/
>
> /with the DEVICE? I think we will end up with the same authentication/
>
> /problem than the one I mentioned for 2.a above. So it may be required/
>
> /that the CLIENT uses the same secure channel to communicate with a/
>
> /DEVICE and all its secure HS. In other words, is it such a good idea to/
>
> /discard the notion of security association?/
>
> I don’t think this is a problem. If the connection is torn down and a
> new one is established, each party will have to reauthenticate the
> other. There is clearly a performance incentive to reuse the existing
> connection. It’s up to implementers to balance the performance
> incentive of reusing the connection against the cost of implementing
> reuse.

The problem is if a client tries to establish directly a new TLS
connection to a HOSTED SERVICE, instead of connecting to the DEVICE
first: if we consider that this can happen, then we must be very clear
that the client must be able to relate (when verifying the DEVICE
certificate during the handshake) the HOSTED SERVICE to the DEVICE. This
is not necessarily trivial.

> Also, the “secure association” was discarded at any point the
> connection was closed, so there’s no net change here: CLIENTs and
> SERVICEs have a relationship as long as the secure channel is alive.

Well, if you use session resumption, the association may be avalaible a
little longer. Imposing that the same channel is used means that the
CLIENT must be aware of the session key when trying to connect to a
HOSTED SERVICE.

> 4) I am still not completely comfortable with the removal of
>
> requirements R4028 and R4069: I find the new version less explicit than
>
> the original version about which protocols are recommended and which are
>
> mandatory.
>
> R4071, R4046, R4048, and the new paragraph immediately between them
> are intended to solve this problem. Would it be clearer to split this
> into a new section?

I don't see any new paragraph in the vicinity of those requirements. Are
you referring to the last paragraph of Section 7.1 Model? In this
paragraph there is a may (not capitalized) that is much fuzzier than the
two requirements I mention above.