ws-dd message

Subject: RE: [ws-dd] RE: Issue 131 - DPWS - Problem with SOAP address ofservices on a device

Hello everyone-

Elmar and I discussed this offline.  We may be able to address this by adding some text in the description of the Hosted Service EPR.  But, we have not yet been able to settle on whether the text should explicitly call out accidental impersonation.

I propose we inform implementers that they should be aware of the functional implications of their choice of URI, but not get into specific details, as there will always be more design considerations than we can list:

Implementers are not constrained in their choice for the [address] part of the HOSTED SERVICE Endpoint Reference, and should consider functional implications and their DEVICE’s operating environment when choosing this URI.  The benefits and drawbacks of different HOSTED SERVICE URI topologies is beyond the scope of this document.

Elmar proposes we specifically call out accidental impersonation:

Implementers are not constrained in their choice for the [address] part of the HOSTED SERVICE Endpoint Reference, and should consider their DEVICES's operating environment when choosing this URI. A HOSTED SERVICE URI topology may have functional implications like accidental impersonation of HOSTED SERVICES. A discussion of all benefits and drawbacks of different HOSTED SERVICE URI topologies is beyond the scope of this document.

I would like to close on this issue tomorrow.  Is there any other input or discussion on this?

Thanks

--D