ws-dd message

Subject: Re: [ws-dd] Action Item #90: Response to Issues 52 and 56

Toby-san, and everyone,

Thank you for using your important time to consider this issues.
I have a good exprience to think it very deelply,
and get new ideas and view points through the discussion.

I hope the white paper, and it would be good for all DPWS application.

Thanks a lot,
Shin
//

Toby Nixon さんは書きました:
> Dan Driscoll and I were asked by the TC (action item #90) to put
> together a response to Issues 52 and 56. Here’s a statement that
> reflects our perspective. We invite comments from others and hope that
> the TC can reach consensus on this tomorrow.
>

>             -- Toby
>

> Concerns are expressed in Issues 52 and 56 regarding the number and
> frequency of events that may be generated in particular applications of
> DPWS, such as the WSD-Print and WSD-Scan applications already in use and
> others that may be defined in the future. In material submitted with
> Issues 52 and subsequently, Shin Ohtake suggested defining a new event
> filter dialect based on severity levels, and in Issue 56 Alain Regnier
> suggested making the XPATH filter defined in WS-Eventing mandatory for
> all DPWS implementations. We believe that DPWS is not the right place to
> define either of the proposed solutions. Here’s why.
>

> Section 1.1 of DPWS says that it should “[c]onstrain Web services
> protocols and formats so Web services can be implemented on
> peripheral-class and consumer electronics-class hardware”, and that it
> should “[d]efine minimum requirements for compliance without
> constraining richer implementations”. This sets a high bar for what
> should be mandated in DPWS: mechanisms included in DPWS need to be
> simple, lightweight, and very broadly applicable across many device
> classes, while not limiting what can be added to support particular
> applications.
>

> WS-Eventing supports a broad range of applications beyond lightweight
> devices. The XPATH filter defined in WS-Eventing is too
> resource-intensive to be mandated across all DPWS device classes.
>

> An event filter based on severity levels could be lightweight, but it’s
> not broadly applicable across most device classes.
>

> Any application of DPWS can define event filters specific to that
> application, such as was done in WSD-Scan. Although a few printer
> vendors are represented in WS-DD, we don’t have the expertise as a group
> necessary to make a decision on what event filter would be best for the
> printing application. Even if we were to add a filter to DPWS now,
> there’s no guarantee that it would turn out to be the optimal way to
> solve the problem in WSD-Print. In fact, it would be counterproductive
> for us to define another filter in DPWS that turns out to not be right
> for WSD-Print. But since WSD-Print will need to be updated to reference
> the standardized version of DPWS anyway, the right solution is to bring
> the experts together and define an appropriate application-specific
> filter as part of an updated WSD-Print specification.
>

> A more serious matter is that Issue 52 brings into question the
> fundamental design of WS-Eventing and the use of TCP and push-model
> event delivery. Alternative event notification mechanisms such as
> pull-mode or connectionless notification could be investigated, but this
> [...]

Shin Ohtake     CTPF-4D, Fuji Xerox Co.,Ltd.
                phone: +81-46-235-6143 (direct)
                mail:  shin.ohtake@fujixerox.co.jp