ws-dd message

Subject: Plan for production of ancillary materials

At the WS-DD meeting today, the TC discussed plans for the non-normative ancillary materials to be produced to help people understand and use the specifications. The notes below (excerpt from the meeting minutes) show four different types of documents we discussed: an executive overview, a technical primer, and implementation guide, and a design guide for those who are working on applications (device class specifications) of DPWS.

We are looking for source material (such as existing white papers and presentations on DPWS) from which initial content for these papers can be drawn, and welcome contributions from TC members. We are also looking for volunteers to help with the writing of these documents. We’ll discuss these further by email and on upcoming TC teleconferences. Thanks for anything you can do to help move this work forward.

Best regards,

            -- Toby

OASIS WS-DD Ancillary Materials:

·         Executive overview

o    Audiences are novice readers, marketing people, and members of other standards organizations, information technology workers, and industry analysts.

o    Difference between DPWS and Web Services.

o    One for DPWS and another for WS-Discovery.

o    Size: 2 pages

·         Technical primer

o    Lead engineers and architects

o    Quality assurance teams

o    Extensibility

o    Size: 10 pages for primer and 30 pages of technical detail.

·         Implementation guidance

o    Implementation engineers

o    Size: As many as needed

o    To include:

§  Eventing “limiting”

§  Guidance for designing effective WSDLs

§  Types

§  Specification composition

·         Design guide

o    Specification Authors

Toby Nixon  |  Senior Standards Program Manager  |  Windows Device and Storage Technologies  |  Microsoft Corporation

toby.nixon@microsoft.com  |  www.microsoft.com | V: +1 425 706 2792  |  M: +1 206 790 6377  |  F: +1 425 708 4811