ws-dd message

Subject: FW: [ws-dd] Proposed WS-DD charter clarification

Mike and I worked offline and put together this updated draft of the proposed charter clarification, which we submit for your consideration. The first text below [1] shows revision marks from the text I originally submitted back on April 2, and below that [2] is a clean text version. As a reminder, this text will replace the existing sentence “Ratification of the DPWS, WS-Discovery, and SOAP-over-UDP specifications as OASIS standards, including a brief maintenance period, after the specifications are ratified as a standard, to address any errata, will mark the end of the TC's lifecycle.” that appears in the Deliverables section of the current charter.

Since this is coming to you on Monday evening prior to our Tuesday morning meeting, I don’t think it’s feasible to have a vote tomorrow on submitting this language to the TC Administrator for electronic ballot. My guess is that all of us will need to have this reviewed by our management and possibly our legal folks before a vote can be taken. We’ll discuss it tomorrow, consider further edits and comments, and then see if we can schedule the vote for next week based on feedback. Thanks for taking the time to review this and be prepared for the discussion.

Best regards,

            -- Toby

[1] Showing revisions from original draft

Following approval of Devices Profile for Web Services Version 1.1, WS-Discovery Version 1.1, and SOAP-over-UDP Version 1.1 specifications as OASIS standards, the TC will enter an extended maintenance period during which it may adopt Approved Errata for DPWS, WS-Discovery, or SOAP-over-UDP in accordance with the OASIS Technical Committee Process. The maintenance period will continue until the TC is Closed in accordance with Section 2.15 of the OASIS Technical Committee Process. During the maintenance period, in addition to any Approved Errata that may be adopted, the TC may will deliver updated DPWS, WS-Discovery, or SOAP-over-UDP specifications, or any combination thereof, as revised OASIS standards, to address the following, if required:

(1)   Update the references in DPWS to WS-Eventing, WS-MetadataExchange, and WS-Transfer specifications to reference the W3C Recommendation version of those specifications, and profile those specifications as necessary to accommodate changes included in them, provided those changes are within the Scope of Work;

(2)   Update the reference in DPWS to WS-I Basic Profile Version 1.1 specification to reference the WS-I Basic Profile 2.0 specification, if that specification is approved in WS-I prior to or at approximately the same time as approval of WS-Eventing, WS-MetadataExchange, and WS-Transfer specifications as a the relevant W3C Recommendations produced by the W3C WS-ResourceAccess Working Group;

(3)   Incorporate Substantive Changes, within the Scope of Work, resulting from (a) reconsideration of technical issues originally introduced to the TC prior to approval of Version 1.1 of DPWS, WS-Discovery, and SOAP-over-UDP specifications but deferred for later consideration, or (b) resolution of specification ambiguities or flaws identified through implementation experience or interoperability testing of elements of Version 1.1 of DPWS, WS-Discovery, and SOAP-over-UDP specifications; and (c) further specification profiling, clarification, and enhancing of security in DPWS identified through implementation experience or interoperability testing; and,

(4)   Incorporate previous Approved Errata and other corrections, clarifications and editorial changes that are not Substantive Changes.

[2] Clean Text

Following approval of Devices Profile for Web Services Version 1.1, WS-Discovery Version 1.1, and SOAP-over-UDP Version 1.1 specifications as OASIS standards, the TC will enter an extended maintenance period during which it may adopt Approved Errata for DPWS, WS-Discovery, or SOAP-over-UDP in accordance with the OASIS Technical Committee Process. The maintenance period will continue until the TC is Closed in accordance with Section 2.15 of the OASIS Technical Committee Process. During the maintenance period, in addition to any Approved Errata that may be adopted, the TC will deliver updated DPWS, WS-Discovery, or SOAP-over-UDP specifications, or any combination thereof, as revised OASIS standards, to address the following, if required:

(1)   Update the references in DPWS to WS-Eventing, WS-MetadataExchange, and WS-Transfer specifications to reference the W3C Recommendation version of those specifications, and profile those specifications as necessary to accommodate changes included in them;

(2)   Update the reference in DPWS to WS-I Basic Profile Version 1.1 specification to reference the WS-I Basic Profile 2.0 specification, if that specification is approved in WS-I prior to or at approximately the same time as approval of the relevant W3C Recommendations produced by the W3C WS-ResourceAccess Working Group;

(3)   Incorporate Substantive Changes resulting from (a) reconsideration of technical issues originally introduced to the TC prior to approval of Version 1.1 of DPWS, WS-Discovery, and SOAP-over-UDP specifications but deferred for later consideration, (b) resolution of specification ambiguities or flaws identified through implementation experience or interoperability testing of elements of Version 1.1 of DPWS, WS-Discovery, and SOAP-over-UDP specifications; and (c) further specification profiling, clarification, and enhancing of security in DPWS identified through implementation experience or interoperability testing; and,

(4)   Incorporate previous Approved Errata and other corrections, clarifications and editorial changes that are not Substantive Changes.

Toby Nixon  |  Senior Standards Program Manager  |  Windows Device and Storage Technologies  |  Microsoft Corporation

toby.nixon@microsoft.com  |  www.microsoft.com | V: +1 425 706 2792  |  M: +1 206 790 6377  |  F: +1 425 708 4811