ws-dd message

Subject: WS-DD teleconference on Tuesday, March 23 -- discuss reducingmeeting frequency pending WS-RA spec publication

Dear members of OASIS WS-DD TC:

I will send out an annotated agenda later this afternoon, but just want to let you know that we DO intend to have a WS-DD teleconference tomorrow morning, Tuesday, March 23, at 8AM Pacific Time.

The only item on the agenda will be a proposal to formally change the meeting frequency to something more along the lines of two, three, or four times a year. The OASIS TC Process requires TCs to have a meeting or teleconference at least once every six months or risk being administratively closed.

The reason for this proposal is that it may be quite some time before we are ready to proceed with the remaining work in our charter, which is primarily updating of DPWS to version 1.2, incorporating references and additional profiling of the W3C Recommendation versions of WS-Eventing, WS-Transfer, and WS-MetadataExchange. Although these specs are now entering the Last Call review period in W3C, I am advised that it may be quite some time until the specs are ready for us to proceed. After the Last Call review, the comments received will be processed by WS-RA, which may result in additional changes to the specs. Eventually, the specs will stabilize and become Candidate Recommendations, and work will begin on creating reference implementations and plugfesting. Since the reference implementations must include all features of the specs (and especially considering that DPWS does not require such comprehensive implementation of the WS-RA specs and no known DPWS implementation fully implements any of the referenced specs), it may be a long time before the reference implementations are available and tested. After that work is done and accepted, and presuming no need is identified for further disambiguating changes to the specs, the specs would enter the Proposed Recommendation stage, and be presented to W3C administration for approval. After some period of time, the specs will be published as W3C Recommendations – and at that point, DPWS 1.2 would be able to reference them in accordance with our charter. Given the potentially long time this will take, it doesn’t make sense for WS-DD to continue to have weekly meetings scheduled, and we should consider reducing the frequency of our meetings. We will discuss this on the call tomorrow.

Best regards,

            -- Toby

Toby Nixon  |  Senior Standards Program Manager  |  Windows Ecosystem Engagement  |  Microsoft Corporation

toby.nixon@microsoft.com  |  www.microsoft.com | V: +1 425 706 2792  |  M: +1 206 790 6377  |  F: +1 425 708 4811