ws-dd message

Subject: Re: [ws-dd] Discovery in Smart Grid applications

Hello Toby,

let me have a try at answering your questions.

From your description, I assume the networked objects will look like this (hoping that the formatting is preserved):

                         Asset1

Smart Grid --- Resource ---|--- Asset2

                         Asset3

<--- Internet ---><------ LAN ------->

where the "Resource" is a kind of gateway that will implement the ESI.

In such architectures, there are several ways in which WS-DD and DPWS may be used:

- The Resource may expose the managed discovery interface defined by WS-DD: this will allow the Smart Grid clients to obtain a list of Asset public addresses, based on some query criteria. WS-DD defines Types and Scopes as standard criteria, but it is extensible. The Resource will still have to take care of the address translation between the exposed public address and the internal address of each Asset (unless you use a VPN or similar technology). Discovery messages are kept small by design, so the usual way of working once a client has obtained a public address for an object is to send a metadata request to the address to obtain more detailed information.

- The Resource may be able to automatically and dynamically gather information about available internal Assets by using WS-DD and DPWS: if each asset implements the Device Profile, then standard mechanisms (including ad-hoc or managed discovery and metadata exchanges) may be used by the Resource to discover Assets and their capabilities, and auomatically build its Asset database.

- Standard metadata exposed by devices compliant with the Device Profile include the list of available services and their WSDL description. If you need to extend this with your own metadata, you have two choices: (i) add a dedicated metadata service to each Asset; (ii) extend the standard metadata exchange mechanisms with your own dialect, using the standard extensibility mechanisms.

- If the Smart Grid clients are WS-Eventing compliant, they will be able to subscribe to events exposed by DPWS-compliant Assets and be asynchronously notified of important changes in the Asset state. Due to the presence of the Resource acting as a gateway, some kind of event brokering mechanisms may need to be added to route events from Assets to clients through the Resource.

Thus, my understanding is that you may use WS-DD and DPWS on both sides of your Resource:
- Externally, to allow clients to discover and access Assets through the Resource.
- Internally, to allow Resources (or energy managers) to discover Assets on the LAN.

From my personal point of view, I think the work you are describing is a great opportunity to highlight the benefits of WS-DD and DPWS in important real-life use cases.

Best regards

Antoine Mensch