Subject: RE: [ws-rx-editors] Document titles and revision management

I think what you want is a title like wsrmp-1.1-spec-wd-02 with no revisions in Kavi at all. When you get to wsrmp-1.1-spec-wd-03 you would then move the old one to the other folder to reduce directory clutter.

I don’t believe there ever should be more than one version of a doc like wsrmp-1.1-spec-wd-nn. I would think any check in would rev the nn. Otherwise how could line numbers stay consistent after you edit on version of wsrmp-1.1-spec-wd-nn and then check in another?

I can see the argument against using Kavi’s versioning and not creating a single title like wsrmp-1.1-spec-wd and then only displaying the nn within the doc (I would assume it should match the Kavi revision number). Note that is how I am managing the issue list during this migration to the stable url. However I can’t imagine someone really wanting revision 05 vs. 07 of that but I definitely see the need for the specs.

From: Gilbert Pilz [mailto:Gilbert.Pilz@bea.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 27, 2005 3:45 PM
To: ws-rx-editors@lists.oasis-open.org

Currently in the WS-RX Editors SC area of Kavi we seem to have adopted two methods of title/revision management. The WSRM spec has a single title (WSRM 1.1 Editors Draft) that does not contain any details about versions etc. Under this Kavi title you can find versions of both wsrm-1.1-spec-04 and wsrm-1.1-spec-05 (the fault lies with me, I checked in the first version of wd-05 under the same title).

The WSRMP spec, on the other hand, is titled "wsrmp-1.1-spec-wd-01.sxw". Under this title you will only find versions of wsrmp-1.1-spec-wd-01. Umit informs me that, when wsrmp-1.1-spec-wd-02 is created, she intends to create a corresponding Kavi title to be used for all versions of wd-02 and so on . . .

"What's it going to be then, eh?"

I'm leaning towards Umit's method since it makes it easier to find individual wd-xx versions without having to dig through the history of a single Kavi title. We can keep the "Calendar Documents" folder clean by rolling off old titles into an "Old Titles" folder.

Comments?

- g