Subject: Re: [ws-rx-editors] [Fwd: RE: [Fwd: WS-RX Public Review]]

Gil - how did you generate the html for the previous CDs?
-Doug

Anish Karmarkar <Anish.Karmarkar@oracle.com>

08/07/2006 01:50 PM

ws-rx-editors@lists.oasis-open.org
cc
Doug Davis/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS, Paul Fremantle <paul@wso2.com>
Subject
Re: [ws-rx-editors] [Fwd: RE: [Fwd: WS-RX Public Review]]

Per Paul's suggestion I used the 'save as' menu item to general HTML.
This did take care of some of the issues listed in my previous email.
See my comments inlined below on which problems are fixed by this.

HTML/gifs/pngs attached.

-Anish
--

Anish Karmarkar wrote:
> I generated an HTML version to see what it does (nothing checked in).
>
> Pl. note that whey you try to do a 'save as' and select the right type,
> it gives a warning about conversion from ODT to HTML. But when you do
> 'export' to XHTML it does not give the same warning.
>
> Few things I noticed in the XHTML version:
>
> 1) There are no page breaks in HTML, so there isn't any spacing between
> start of a new section and end of previous subsection. In the ODT/PDF
> version the start of a new section starts a new page.

Since this is HTML, there isn't much that can be done about this other
than perhaps increase the spacing before a section start (in addition to
the page break in ODT).

> 2) The dots in subsection numbering are missing. eg, "1.3" appears as "13"

This is fixed.

> 3) The section and subsection titles are indented (they are not in
> PDF/ODT version)

This is fixed.

> 4) Table headings (1st row) is not readable as the background and
> foreground are of the same color (except for the tables in section 4)

This problem still remains.

> 5) It would be nice if the TOC had hyperlinks.

Not fixed.

> 6) OASIS logo missing in the XHTML version (I'm guessing this can be
> fixed pretty easily).

Fixed.

But now the 2 title lines run over each other.

> 7) Relative hyperlinks are incorrect (eg, pointers to references,
> sections).

The href values are now correct, but there aren't the right
corresponding 'id's.

> 8) Similar to #6 above, figure 1 & 2 are missing. We'll have to make
> them available as a separate files on docs.oasis-open.org

This is fixed, but we still need to make these png/gif files available
on docs.oasis-open.org

> 9) Bullet numbering in section 3 is screwed up (every bullet is numbered
> as 1).

This is fixed.

> 10) Exemplar message format can be improved upon. There are horizontal
> lines after every line.

This problem just got worse. Now the indentation is lost too.

> 11) There is no space between the section/subsection number and the
> section/subsetion title.

This problem remains.

> 12) Appendix numbering isn't right and isn't visible.

This is fixed.
But the appendix number is in a different color than the appendix title,
and indented.

Web Services Reliable Messaging
(WS-ReliableMessaging)

Committee Draft 04, August 7, 2006
Document identifier:

wsrm-1.1-spec-cd-04
Location:

http://docs.oasis-open.org/ws-rx/wsrm/200608/wsrm-1.1-spec-cd-04.pdf
Editors:

Doug Davis, IBM <dug@us.ibm.com>

Anish Karmarkar, Oracle <Anish.Karmarkar@oracle.com>

Gilbert Pilz, BEA <gpilz@bea.com>

Steve Winkler, SAP <steve.winkler@sap.com>

Ümit Yalçinalp, SAP <umit.yalcinalp@sap.com>
Contributors:

See the Acknowledgments (Appendix E).
Abstract:

This specification (WS-ReliableMessaging) describes a protocol that allows messages to be transferred reliably between nodes implementing this protocol in the presence of software component, system, or network failures. The protocol is described in this specification in a transport-independent manner allowing it to be implemented using different network technologies. To support interoperable Web services, a SOAP binding is defined within this specification.

The protocol defined in this specification depends upon other Web services specifications for the identification of service endpoint addresses and policies. How these are identified and retrieved are detailed within those specifications and are out of scope for this document.

By using the XML [XML], SOAP [SOAP 1.1], [SOAP 1.2] and WSDL [WSDL 1.1] extensibility model, SOAP-based and WSDL-based specifications are designed to be composed with each other to define a rich Web services environment. As such, WS-ReliableMessaging by itself does not define all the features required for a complete messaging solution. WS-ReliableMessaging is a building block that is used in conjunction with other specifications and application-specific protocols to accommodate a wide variety of requirements and scenarios related to the operation of distributed Web services.
This document is a work in progress and will be updated to reflect issues as they are resolved by the Web Services Reliable Exchange (WS-RX) Technical Committee.
Table of Contents
1 Introduction 4
1.1 Notational Conventions 4
1.2 Namespace 5
1.3 Compliance 5
2 Reliable Messaging Model 6
2.1 Glossary 6
2.2 Protocol Preconditions 7
2.3 Protocol Invariants 7
2.4 Example Message Exchange 8
3 RM Protocol Elements 10
3.1 Sequence Creation 10
3.2 Closing A Sequence 14
3.3 Sequence Termination 16
3.4 Sequences 17
3.5 Request Acknowledgement 19
3.6 Sequence Acknowledgement 19
3.7 MakeConnection 22
3.8 MessagePending 23
4 Faults 25
4.1 SequenceFault Element 26
4.2 Sequence Terminated 27
4.3 Unknown Sequence 27
4.4 Invalid Acknowledgement 28
4.5 Message Number Rollover 28
4.6 Create Sequence Refused 29
4.7 Sequence Closed 29
4.8 WSRM Required 30
4.9 Unsupported Selection 30
5 Security Threats and Countermeasures 32
5.1 Threats and Countermeasures 32
5.1.1 Integrity Threats 32
5.1.1.1 Countermeasures 32
5.1.2 Resource Consumption Threats 33
5.1.2.1 Countermeasures 33
5.1.3 Sequence Spoofing Threats 33
5.1.3.1 Sequence Hijacking 33
5.1.3.2 Countermeasures 33
5.2 Security Solutions and Technologies 34
5.2.1 Transport Layer Security 34
5.2.1.1 Model 34
5.2.1.2 Countermeasure Implementation 35
5.2.2 SOAP Message Security 36
5.2.2.1 Model 36
5.2.2.2 Countermeasure Implementation 36
6 Securing Sequences 38
6.1 Securing Sequences Using WS-Security 38
6.2 Securing Sequences Using SSL/TLS 39
7 References 41
7.1 Normative 41
7.2 Non-Normative 41
A. Schema 43
B. WSDL 49
C. Message Examples 52
C.1 Create Sequence 52
C.2 Initial Transmission 52
C.3 First Acknowledgement 54
C.4 Retransmission 54
C.5 Termination 55
C.6 MakeConnection 56
D. State Tables 60
E. Acknowledgments 65
F. Revision History 66
G. Notices 71
1Introduction

It is often a requirement for two Web services that wish to communicate to do so reliably in the presence of software component, system, or network failures. The primary goal of this specification is to create a modular mechanism for reliable transfer of messages. It defines a messaging protocol to identify, track, and manage the reliable transfer of messages between a source and a destination. It also defines a SOAP binding that is required for interoperability. Additional bindings can be defined.

This mechanism is extensible allowing additional functionality, such as security, to be tightly integrated. This specification integrates with and complements the WS-Security [WS-Security], WS-Policy [WS-Policy], and other Web services specifications. Combined, these allow for a broad range of reliable, secure messaging options.
1.1Notational Conventions

The keywords "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT", "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this document are to be interpreted as described in RFC 2119 [KEYWORDS].

This specification uses the following syntax to define normative outlines for messages:

wsrm-1.1-spec-cd-04_html_15f92bc6.png