ws-rx-implement message

Subject: AW: [ws-rx-implement] WS-RM/RX question...

Hi Doug, hi Paul,
thank you for your fast responses!!
Okay, this sounds good for current version of WS-RX.

Of course the old WS-RM spec is not subject of this SC, but you were involved creating it ;-) and therefore I am interested in your
answer if you relate my question to WS-RM 2005/02.

WS-RM 2005/02 spec is the basis of current interoperable RM implementations until WS-RX is ready for beeing the basis for "product" implementation.
Is my interpretation of WS-RM 2005/02 concerning my mentioned topic correct?

Concerning WS-RX: Your answer
So good behaviour would be for the RMD to close the sequence not terminate it.

is hopefully written more precise in the spec. If the RMD can decide by itself to
terminate or close the sequence, then the problem I mentioned is not really solved...
To my opinion the closing instead of terminating should be a MUST for RMD?!

But in current WS-RX spec I found:

3.2.: To ensure that the Sequence ends with a known final state both the RM
Source and RM Destination may choose to 'close' the Sequence before terminating it.

4.2.:
This fault is sent by either the RM Source or the RM Destination to indicate that it has either encountered
an unrecoverable condition, or has detected a violation of the protocol and as a consequence, has chosen
to terminate the sequence. The endpoint that generates this fault should make every reasonable effort to
notify the corresponding endpoint of this decision.

What are the arguments to make only such a soft statement in 3.2.
Why do we really need 4.2. and cannot always use close instead of terminate.
Do you have examples when a closing is not possible but only a termination?

From the very first time I start thinking about WS-RM spec I worried about the statement in 4.2. but maybe
this was because I always thought that a terminated sequence must somehow be continued using a
new subsequent sequenceID (think about offering the real application a stable serialization context using
a sequence of underlying WS-RM sequences which are related. But there is no relation between WS-RM
sequences and so this issue cannot be solved on WS-RM level. So in case of a termination or closing, the
in-order processing is interrupted and can only be handled using a protocol on a higher level or by application
(e.g. a rollback work).

Do you think it would be a good proposal to define subsequent WS-RM sequences on WS-RM level
so that one can continue a sequence (by using a subsequent sequence) after termination or closing (else only
a kind of
rollback is possible, isn't it?)? Or is this proposal out of scope of
WS-RM in your opinion? (Background: how to offer the real application a stable serialization context hiding
sequence terminations and sequence closing by just creating a subsequent WS-RM sequence for a given
closed/terminated WS-RM sequence?)

With kind regards,
Stefan