Subject: Preliminary WSRX Minutes from Thursday PM

The prelim minutes from Thursday PM are attached.

Tom Rutt

Title: Preliminary Minutes OASIS (WS-RX) TC formation meeting

Preliminary Minutes for WSRX TC meeting, Monday Afternoon.

The attendance list , as of the end of Monday, will be sent by Paul Cotton in a separate email.

The final minutes will include only one attendance list, which will reflect all attendees over the two days.

Special Minutes Style Conventions

Motion text

§    Motion Resolution text

Ø  Action item text

Ø  Potential new issue Text:

Lunch Recess ends:

7         Review of TC Charter (Continued)

The indented text is from the existing charter, while the non indented text (and the indented colored text) is from the TC meeting discussion.

While composition with other specifications is a goal of the TC, it is also a goal to leave the specifics of how that composition is achieved outside the scope of the RM specifications.

Martin suggested that we change “RM” to “WS-RX Specifications”

Doug B suggested “outside the scope of the WS-RX TC”.

Doug B moved, Anish Seconded to change “outside scope of the RM Specifications” to “outside the scope of this TC.”

§    This proposed clarification will be put out for formal Ballot.

Ø  Jamie Clark will put out a web ballot on the Doug B motion.

Each of the protocol elements will use implementation and language neutral XML formats defined in XML Schema [14].

Out of Scope: The following is a non-exhaustive list. It is provided only for the sake of clarity. If some function, mechanism or feature is not mentioned here, and it is not mentioned in the Scope of Work section either, then it will be deemed to be out of scope.

The TC will not define a mapping of the functions and elements described in the specifications to any programming language, to any particular messaging middleware, nor to specific network transports.

The elements and/or mechanisms the TC defines must be independent of issues and considerations that do not affect an interoperable reliable messaging protocol.

There was some discussion of the wording “and/or mechanisms the TC defines”.  It was clarified that usage of elements defined in another spec is different than defining a new mechanism.  No change was suggested.

Specifically: the TC is not concerned with binding the specifications to specific underlying transports.

The TC and the specifications that it producesdo not address considerations, such as durability related to Sources' and/or Destinations' ability to satisfy reliability assurances.

Typographical error noted in above paragraph.

Ø  Action OASIS Staff  should fix typographical error in charter of missing space between “produces” and “to” the next time the charter is updated.

Except for the elements directly related to the functions in the scope of the specifications, the TC will not prescribe the format of messages that are transferred reliably according to the specifications.

The TC will make no assumptions about the location of Application Sources relative to RM Sources and Application Destinations relative to RM Destinations.

The TC will not attempt to define concepts or renderings for functions that are of wider applicability including but not limited to:

    * Security (Encryption, Integrity and Authentication)

    * Addressing

    * Policy languages and frameworks

    * Routing

    * Transactions and Compensation

Anish asked if an authenticated session setup for ws-reliable messaging would be out of scope.  He can envision an authenticated session in the RM headers themselves, and wants to know if this is out of scope.  The current input spec has a security token in the create sequence response body.

Anish: I do not agree that Security is part of Reliability.

Chris F: If I can ack messages from someone else, that is not reliable.

Colleen: this spec must compose with ws-security.  Thus we cannot define things that are already in WS-Security.

Gilbert:  we might consider adding statements that this spec does not depend on other specs.

Tom R: the input spec uses EPR for Ack To.  However there is no requirement for ws-addressing run time.  We should not use wsa:messageId however, since this is part of the WS-addressing run time headers.

Chris F: the security context is optional in the Create Sequence response, thus we do not “depend” on ws-security.

Paul C: making the security context optional, allows another group to profile it to change this to not used, or as required.

Doug D : We need revised text to get to conclusion on this discussion

Chris F: we could tweek this to make clear that re-use of an EPR is not out of scope.

Martin C: we are going to have to make some of these decisions on re-use in a case by case basis.

Gilbert: I do not see good definitions of Composability.

Paul F- are there any proposed changes to the charter in this area.

No changes were proposed.

Where required these functions are achieved by composition with other Web services specifications.

The TC will not attempt to define functionality duplicating that of any normatively referenced specification in the input WS-ReliableMessaging or WS-RM Policy specifications. If the referenced specification is outside of a standardization process at the time this TC moves to ratify its deliverables, or is not far along enough in the standardization process, any normative references to it in the TC output will be expressed in an abstract manner, and the incarnation will be left at that time as an exercise in interoperability.

Deliverables

The TC has the following set of deliverables.

    * A revised Web Services Reliable Messaging Protocol specification.  Committee Specifications are scheduled for completion within one year of the first TC meeting.

    * A revised Web Services Reliable Messaging Policy Assertion specification.  Committee Specifications are scheduled for completion within one year of the first TC meeting.

Anish: I assume the first bullet would include Schemas.  However could the TC also have output white papers on subjects, such as composability with WS-Security.

Paul F: there is no wording in the charter precluding additional documents to be published.

These specifications will reflect refinements, corrections or material technological improvements with respect to the input documents and in accordance with this charter.

Ratification of the above specifications as OASIS Standards, including a brief period to address any errata, will mark the end of the TC's lifecycle.

The TC may choose to vary the number of the specification documents and their titles.

IPR Mode

This TC will operate under the "RF (Royalty Free) on RAND Terms" IPR mode as defined in the OASIS Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) Policy, effective 15 April 2005.

Audience

The anticipated audience for this work includes:

    * Vendors offering Web services products;

    * Other specification authors that need reliable message delivery for Web services

    * Software architects and programmers, who design, write or integrate applications for Web services

    * End users implementing Web services-based solutions that require an interoperable, composable reliable messaging solution.

Language

TC business will be conducted in English.