Subject: RE: [ws-rx] NEW ISSUE: Is an implementation supporting a smaller max message number valid? [Re: [ws-rx] NEW ISSUE: Max message number in p olicy]

Doug [Davis]:

You just put your finger on a curious thing in WS-RM:

- Why does a MessageNumberRollover fault terminate the sequence on Destination side?

Why not simply reject any "exceeding" message, and wait for the Source to close the seq after it gets this fault, (or let an expiration condition kick-in if applicable) like it would do under normal circumstances?

That would allow for a gracious handling of pending non-acknowledged valid messages - something that has to be handled by the Source with regular termination. That would also allow for gracious cross-sequence ordering (in case that mattered to our grand-grand-children...)

Because of this questionable termination policy and because of it only, the net effect of recovering from a MessageNumberRollover fault will not be as good as preventing it as you point out.

Now, Rollover conditions can always happen and a sharp implementation has to best handle them anyway. I still believe that the benefit of dealing with a rollover fault after 19 quintillion messages only instead of say 9 quintillion, is rather meager with regard to increased reliance on a proper out-of-band sharing of policies.

If we want a Source to be made aware of the maximum handled by a Destination so that it can avoid rolling over in the future , my recommendation would be a more dynamic option, such as returning this limit in the CreateSequenceResponse or even just adding it to the Rollover fault.

Jacques