Subject: [ws-rx] NEW ISSUE: Sequence termination on Fault

Sanjay,

1. I am filing the same issue you and I just pointed at - just generalizing it:

Title: Sequence termination on Fault

- wsrm:SequenceTerminated

- wsrm:MessageNumberRollover

- wsrm:LastMessageNumberExceeded

Justification: Then any pending non-acknowledged messages will be lost for the sequence. If these were to be resent in a new take-over sequence, stealth duplicates (same messages with different seq IDs) cannot be prevented. In addition, cross-sequence ordering will be hazardous at best.

Target: core

Type: design

Proposal: After the fault was notified to Source, simply rely on regular termination procedure (either expiration-based, or under Source control), meanwhile reject any message for this sequence that exceeds the ending number in case of MessageNumberRollover or LastMessageNumberExceeded.

2. I actually chime in with your idea of NOT requiring any maximum sequence number value in the spec.

You say "...A conformant implementation in this case would be

the one which obeys what it declares..." In what I proposed (previous mail), this "declaration" could be made dynamically, sent back in the CreateSequenceResponse. No need to have it in a policy or in the spec. Another reason for this: in some resource-strapped RM Destination implementations there may be a need to dynamically limit the length of new sequences. Let us not forget that the memory footprint of a sequence state is roughly proportional to its size (i.e. to the number of "holes" in it, or integer intevals). A Destination may have to choose between allocating a few long sequences, or many smaller ones.

Regards,

Jacques