Subject: Re: [ws-rx] NEW ISSUE: semantics of "at most once" delivery assur ance

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 13:06:50 -0700, Anish Karmarkar
<Anish.Karmarkar@oracle.com> wrote:

> The protocol, as is defined today, is AtLeastOnce (as Chris keeps
> reminding us), between the RMS and RMD.
>
> It seems to me that using this protocol for AtMostOnce is
> wasteful/inappropriate/expensive. I.e., if AtMostOnce semantics is
> desired why would one use WS-RM and pay for AtLeastOnce semantics (whose
> costs can be significantly higher).
>
> The two sensible options that I see are either:
>
> 1) say that our protocol is AtLeastOnce and we don't say anything about
> AtMostOnce at all. If someone wants to use AtLeastOnce at the protocol
> level and implement AtMostOnce at the application level they can
> certainly do it. We don't say that 'Unreliable' DA is supported, but
> someone can use WS-RM to do unreliable messaging (and pay the higher
> cost) -- although I don't know why someone would do that.

It makes the most sense to me to take this approach. Although more choice
is usually good, it seems onerous to me to require support of AtMostOnce
semantics on the wire. Unless I see something that proves otherwise, I
feel we should say that our protocol is AtLeastOnce.