Subject: Re: [ws-rx] NEW ISSUE: semantics of "at most once" delivery assurance

Christopher B Ferris wrote:

>Charlton wrote:

my comment is inline
Tom Rutt

>>It makes the most sense to me to take this approach. Although more
>>

>choice
>

>>is usually good, it seems onerous to me to require support of AtMostOnce
>>

>>semantics on the wire. Unless I see something that proves otherwise, I
>>feel we should say that our protocol is AtLeastOnce.
>>

>Actually, more choice typically leads to lower interop:-) However, I
>concur
>with Anish's #1 that we should stick with the way that the *protocol* is
>designed
>(AtLeastOnce)

If this is the decision of the group (it seems to simplify the spec a
lot), then we should remove reference to "at most once" DA
in the spec.

However, is there is an agreed use case for "increasing at most once" ,
we might specify a simple protocol,
 which only requires state in the rmd to know the last message
delivered, and which filters any messages with smaller ID.

The existing Ack behaviour for such a simple protocol would not be
required for such a "increasing at most once" DA.