Subject: Support for Proposal 1 of i014 Document Names

All,

This email is to formally acknowledge support of the undersigned companies for proposal 1 of issue i014 Document Names [1]. This proposal recommends keeping the names of the contributed specifications the same with the rationale that another new set of specification names in this space would only increase confusion in the marketplace. In addition we would like to remind the members of this TC that the contributors of these specifications, as well as others, already have completed implementations and a large investment in the existing specification names.

There has been a suggestion on this list to change the names of the contributed specifications to match the name of the TC with the suggestion that this will reduce confusion in the space. No rationale was given as to how this would occur. In defending the proposed name change many of those in favor used the phrase “reliable messaging” in making their arguments which suggests that the current names of the specifications are very descriptive and appropriate. Much of the subsequent discussion focused on precedents of TCs changing the names of input specifications. While this is true this discussion ignored that there is no unifying principle that TCs name their output specifications the same as the TC name either, examples include the WSS, Security Services, CAF and WS-RM TCs.

Changing the names of the specifications is not a zero effort proposition, the new name would need to be promoted and communicated, references to the old name would need to be found and updated, etc. More importantly it would require that members of this TC, notably the chairs, go through another round of discussion with others, particularly the press, about yet another new specification name in this space. It is much clearer to refer to the contributed WS-RM 1.0 and the OASIS standard WS-RM 1.x than explain the relationship of two separate names.

The time of the TC is better spent addressing the technical issues which may produce meaningful changes or clarifications to the specification if we are to complete our work on schedule.

It is our position that changing the name of the specifications would not reduce confusion nor would it be perceived well by the press or the market.

We encourage you to vote with us for Proposal 1 of issue i014 and keep the names of the contributed specifications.

Abbie Barbir, Nortel

Charlton Barreto, Adobe Systems, Inc.

Rebecca Bergersen, IONA Technologies

Andreas Bjärlestam, Ericsson