Subject: RE: [ws-rx] Proposal for i012

Lei,

I don't think that it is appropriate to unnecessarily (IMHO) constrain the
use of the protocol
such that it cannot be used to deliver acks on the HTTP response to a
one-way message.
Note that the XML Protocol WG is working on definition of the semantics of
a binding for
oneway MEP and that there is also likely to be provision for optional SOAP
element in the
HTTP response (certainly for the case of a SOAP fault returned to support
the robust
oneway WSDL mep).

I *strongly* disagree with this proposal. We are hearing from customers
that the use case
that you are specifically excluding is one that is highly important to
them.

Frankly, I think that the behavior of the intermediary that you describe
is a bug rather than
a feature.

blog: http://webpages.charter.net/chrisfer/blog.html
phone: +1 508 377 9295

"Lei Jin" <ljin@bea.com> wrote on 08/24/2005 05:59:54 PM:

> I disagree.  Here is a use case that shows a problem with an anonymous
AcksTo.

> Node A  --->  Intermediary ---> Node B
>
> Node A tries to send messages reliably to Node B.  For simplicity, let's
assume these are all
> oneway messages.  Node A establishes a reliable sequence with an
anonymous AcksTo and starts to
> send messages.  The messages first go through the Intermediary which has
B's WSDL and figures out
> these are oneway messages.  So it decides to send back a http 202 to A
and close the connection
> before forwarding the message on to Node B.  Now Node B gets the message
and wants to send back an
> Ack synchronously (due to the anonymous Ack).  But it can't send the Ack
since the connection
> between Node A and the Intermediary is already closed.
>
> Basically the problem is that the introduction of anonymous AcksTo
converts a oneway MEP into a
> two-way MEP.  In order for it to work, all intermediaries will need to
be WSRM aware and keep
> connections open in case synchronous acks need to be sent back.
>
> Proposal:
>
> * Specifically call out that the anonymous IRI is not to be used in
AcksTo.
"http://www.w3.org/@@@@/@@/addressing/none
> ".  When AcksTo takes on this value, acknowledgement will only be sent
back in response to
> AckRequest messages.
>
> Lei

closed with no action