Subject: RE: [ws-rx] Proposal for i004

Title: RE: [ws-rx] Proposal for i004

I think Anish has a point.
I believe that Resending MUST not alter wsa:messageId, nor anything in the SOAP envelope.
- wsa:messageId may have some relevance w/r to MEPs, and whoever on the Sender side will verify that a wsa:RelatedTo is correlating with a previous wsa:messageId must be sure of the messageId that has been received, regardless of which retry made it to the RMD. If messageId may be altered by the RMS or further intermediary, that won't work.

- also, that may affect the validity of signatures. In 6.3 of SOAP Binding for WS-Addressing, there is clear requirement that "To avoid breaking signatures,intermediaries MUST NOT change the XML representation of WS-Addressing headers when relaying those headers." The RMS may act as intermediary, and resending is just a relaying technique...

Jacques

-----Original Message-----
From: Anish Karmarkar [mailto:Anish.Karmarkar@oracle.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2005 10:46 AM
To: Marc Goodner
Cc: ws-rx@lists.oasis-open.org

Marc,

The reference you have provided is the submission document. That
sentence has been removed from the CR docs [1] [2].

The spec does not say anything about the content of the message on
retransmission and I don't see [message id] as being special (as far as
WSRM is concerned). Therefore, I don't see any reason to say anything
specific about [message id].

But I'm curious as to why you used a 'may' in your proposal. Do you see
any reason why this [message id] would be different? I had assumed
(since the spec does not say) that the retransmission would have the
same message content at the Infoset level. Do you see it otherwise?

My concern about [message id] is that:
a particular message may be part of an MEP (such as a request message in
a req-res MEP). The reply message then has to use the [message id] of
the request message in its [relationship] property. This is used to
correlate the reply message with the request message. If the [message
id] on retransmission is changed by the RM layer this will lead to problems.

In any case, reliability is based on the fact that the receiver can
detect duplicates (based on seq id/message no) and duplicates are copies
of the same message and can be discarded by the receiver.

-Anish
--

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/CR-ws-addr-core-20050817/
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/CR-ws-addr-soap-20050817/