Subject: RE: [ws-rx] Proposal for i004

+1

blog: http://webpages.charter.net/chrisfer/blog.html
phone: +1 508 377 9295

Doug Davis/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS wrote on 08/25/2005 07:34:16 PM:

> I would not be comfortable with this because it implies some
understanding on the part of the RMS
> on what the intent/meaning... of the message is. It also implies there
is a certain bucket of bits
> that RM considers important when comparing two messages (e.g.
wsa:MessageID), and I don't
> believe RM should get into that business.  I would much prefer if RM
remained silent anything
> having to deal with the content of the message with the exception of the
RM headers which are
> clearly under its control.
> To that end, for retransmission the RM spec should simply say that the
SeqID + Msg# need to be
> the same.   Scanning the spec I'm not sure if actually says that but I
think it does imply it.  Ifit says it
> then I don't think any change is needed.  If it doesn't actually come
right out and say it then we should
> add the appropriate text (to section 3.1 perhaps?)
> thanks,
> -Doug
>

> Jacques Durand <JDurand@us.fujitsu.com> wrote on 08/25/2005 06:31:31 PM:
>
> > I think that two notions need be clearly distinguished:
> > 1. what a duplicate is.
> > 2. what a "retransmission" is, or should be w/r to the duties of the
RMS or to its
> > scope of action.
> >
> > Regarding (1), I think that we are in agreement that a duplicate is
solely detected
> > based on sequenceID/number.
> > Regarding (2), as Anish said there is still an implicit contract that
> > retransmitted message be "equivalent" to the original, not just a
message with same
> > RM headers.
> >
> > Now I believe that any developer with a sound mind understands how to
implement an
> > RMS so that within its scope of responsibility, (2) will be achieved
the best it
> > can. However, some header elements such as wsa:MessageID are on the
borderline of
> > what application semantics is, and could be interpreted either in or
out of the
> > contract (2). The simple fact that issue i004 was raised, indicates an
ambiguous
> > situation. I can see that some RMS developer with the current text,
may rightfully
> > decide to alter wsa:MessageID.
> > But preserving wsa:MessageID is key to the composability of WS-RM. A
processing
> > module upstream to RMS (lets call it "PSource") that has added the
wsa:messageID
> > header, may need to be assured that the message that has reached its
destination
> > counterpart ("PDest"), has the same wsa:messageID as the one it has
sent.
> > I think it is worth an explicit statement.
> >
> > Avoiding the minefield of trying to define "equivalent" messages, a
minimal
> > proposal I would back for i004 is one where it is clear to
implementers that an RMS
> > must not alter wsa:messageId when retransmitting.
> >
> > Now, it is also in the scope of this specification (RM Policy
Assertion) to define
> > precisely (enough)  the semantics of the concepts expressed in policy
assertions,
> > including "retransmission". Being more precise than the current text
without being
> > too tight, a definition "by intent" could be like: "Retransmission is
an operation
> > that ensures that the retransmitted message has the same effect on its
consumer as
> > the original message would have, given the expected processing up to
consumption
> > and all other things being equal."
> > I think a definition like this would be an improvement, but that does
not remove
> > the need to separately disambiguate the case of wsa:messageID.
> >

> > Jacques

Binding for WS-

http://www.w3.org/Submission/2004/SUBM-ws-addressing-20040810/#_Toc77464
> > > 322
> > >
> > > So as I said no further clarification should be needed in WS-RM.

Infoset